Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had my JK re-geared. Auto shop recommended to comply with specific break-in procedures and to come back after 500 miles to change out the oil with the front and rear diff's. For convenience I'd much rather use my local automotive shop to change out the differential oil. Is this OK or does the re-gear need inspection ie. (Wear marks)? In that case I would bring it back to the mechanic who installed the gears.

·
Retired Moderator
100,485 Posts
It depends on how your warranty is written. They may want to pull the covers and just take a look inside.
I would just take it back to the installer, rather than having a third party involved.
This way, if you have a failure, they can't blame somebody else..:thumb:

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
X2 with Old Dogger. If the shop is giving you a warranty on parts and labor for example, follow their guidelines and go back for the fluid change/inspection. It's not like a Chrysler new vehicle warranty where you don't have to have your JK serviced by a dealer to maintain the warranty. Technically/legally you're probably not obligated to do that, but if there's a failure do you want the hassle? You trusted the shop to do the re-gear, have them change the fluid and inspect the gears if that's their procedure and how they prefer to follow up.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Agreed that if you're not going to do it yourself, take it back to the original shop. However, changing diff fluid is super easy, you don't need to open the cover unless you see metal on the drain plug magnet. Small metal shavings (dust like in size) are normal and to be expected. Pieces that look like fingernail trimmings (or chunks of metal) should cause concern.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts