Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. First time changing different fluid since I got my tj. Following 4x4 xplorer and forums instructions all went well. Question though, below is how much is left in the 2nd bottle of gear oil. Is that about right or do I need to add some from the vent? It poured from the hole before I capped it off.

ForumRunner_20140503_135235.jpg

ForumRunner_20140503_135249.jpg

·
Knows a couple things...
49,471 Posts
Just fill it so the gear lube is right up to the bottom of the fill hole and you're good, I always have about that much left over.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome, thanks Jerry. Only advice I didn't follow on the notes on here, but will next time is Lube Locker gaskets. Cleaning ancient rtv was no fun.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Lube Locker gaskets are nice. Installed then on both the Dana 44 and Dana 30 on my 2004 Sahara. Torqued the bolts to I seem to remember 35 FT lbs and never a leak. My arms sure got tired of using that bottle pump as the vehicle was not lifted real high on the jack stands. Like you I dislike RTV for gaskets, but I started messing in the automotive world in the 1960's and it was not used back then. I think I still have Permatex No. 2 gasket sealer embedded in my finger prints from those days :). Though I did not need it a spool of very fine dental floss is always good to have in the tool box for tying a gasket in place until you get the cover bolts started.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lube Locker gaskets are nice. Installed then on both the Dana 44 and Dana 30 on my 2004 Sahara. Torqued the bolts to I seem to remember 35 FT lbs and never a leak. My arms sure got tired of using that bottle pump as the vehicle was not lifted real high on the jack stands. Like you I dislike RTV for gaskets, but I started messing in the automotive world in the 1960's and it was not used back then. I think I still have Permatex No. 2 gasket sealer embedded in my finger prints from those days :). Though I did not need it a spool of very fine dental floss is always good to have in the tool box for tying a gasket in place until you get the cover bolts started.
Well thankfully harbor freight had gloves on sale, buy went through a few pairs today. Held off on the Dana 30 till Amazon gets the Lube Locker here.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts