Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I was wondering if I need to change my diff oil in my wrangler X. It only has 30,000 miles on it, but its a 2002 so its 10 years old. I have never checked it but have gone in some pretty deep water with it. Do I NEED to take the cover off and reglue it, or can I just pump it out? My dad says to pump it because his leaked after he took cover off, but that was 15 years ago. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
I'd say open it up and take a look. I did mine and its the only way you will truly get all the old out. If you clean the mating surfaces real good with a angle die grinder and some Ro-loc pads you can get it really clean and run a nice bead of gasket maker to seal it up. You'd hate to pump it out and just add oil with out looking into it, and if there is water, and you dont get it out, you just ruined the fresh gear oil. I've never serviced a diff before my jeep and all it really consists of is bolts out, clean it, and gasket maker on, fill it up, super simple.

·
Premium Member
681 Posts
Hey everyone. I was wondering if I need to change my diff oil in my wrangler X. It only has 30,000 miles on it, but its a 2002 so its 10 years old. I have never checked it but have gone in some pretty deep water with it. Do I NEED to take the cover off and reglue it, or can I just pump it out? My dad says to pump it because his leaked after he took cover off, but that was 15 years ago. Thanks!
It's better if you pop the cover to drain it out. More importantly, clean it out thoroughly! By taking the cover off, you can do a better job of cleaning it out. Use some solvent (like brake cleaner). Spray all over and once it's all drained out, use an old rag to get the last few drops (small puddle really) in the bottom of the diff housing. If you jack up the jeep, it will pour out a bit easier, and leave less to remove.

If you are going to keep running through water/puddles etc, that means you will likely be doing this on a regular basis. I HIGHLY recommend "lube lockers" for your diff. These are reusable gaskets for the diff. No more scraping, RTV, etc... Makes diff fluid cleaning super-easy to do. LubeLockers run about $22 each. I'm going to guess you have a D30 front diff and a D35 in the rear. Look at the other posts on this forum for pics of diffs. Many folks, including me, have posted them here to help jeep owners learn what they have. Use the search button up top on the screen, third over from the right.

Happy Jeeping! :dance:

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sounds good, I will just take it off. I have heard of a few different glues. Any better than the others? Any chance of it leaking when I get it all back together? I don't want an "I told you so!" From my dad

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Pretty much all the same. I use the ones that come in a can with a squeeze trigger, much more uniform than trying to use a tube and squeezing it. There's red, gray, black, dont use blue RTV, thats kinda more for water sealing like water pumps etc.

I use Permatex Ultra Black, why? because its the first one I grabbed off the shelf. Don't think its any better than any other manufacture or style. As long as its for oil applications.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I have already orderd my Lube Lockers for both my D44's and can't wait. As everyone says above, pull it yourself and look at everything. The money you save in doing it yourself will allow you to spend the money on good gear oil instead of the cheap stuff.

·
Registered
8,952 Posts
i change my diff fluid every 15k or so...i'd say you're way overdue. i take the cover off every time to inspect the gears, which is always a good idea...you may find problems. won't leak at all if you seal it right....

·
Registered
941 Posts
I have used several different RTV brands. Permatex or Loctite is not the cheapest around. The last one I used was Eagle Brand for around $1.20 a tube and did both diffs with it. I used the same but in red on my Transmission.

If you have a silicone/window scraper it makes removal of the old RTV a 1-minute job.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts