Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to pick up some minor recovery gear to keep in the back of the rig. Was doing some reading and notice these two types of straps. I assume they both have different purposes, as the recovery strap is elastic, and builds up some "pull" while a tow strap is a solid rigid strap. Which one do I want to keep in case SHTF? Do I need both? Any major brand ok? Smittybilt seems to have a 30,000lb break strength 30' recovery strap for reasonable money, just wondering if they are all the same.

Any thoughts, or pointing me to some good reading would be appreciated.

·
The Bad Guy
23,119 Posts
Definitely carry both. You would use the recovery strap to pull out a "stuck" vehicle. The tow strap would be used to tow a disabled vehicle off the trail. Those are just two simple examples for illustration.

·
Premium Member
7,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gotcha. Everyone recommends a towstrap without hooks, but it seems they are all with hooks. What gives?

·
The Bad Guy
23,119 Posts
Gotcha. Everyone recommends a towstrap without hooks, but it seems they are all with hooks. What gives?
Definitely without! One comes off and it becomes a deadly projectile.

·
Premium Member
7,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I read the thread above, and it's very informative.

Now, I agree about the hooks being deadly weapons being flung in the event of a catastrophic failure. However, what about closed hooks? The ones that have that spring loaded piece (like a rock climbers caribiener?) Still a bad idea right? It seems that the failure point is the strap, not the hook, so a locking hook would be "safe" no? Something like this...that way, if the strap indeed fails, the nylon goes flying, but the hook remains anchored in the d-shackle. Remember, I am NOT arguing, just trying to learn.

This is the strap I was looking at....keep in mind this will be used AT MOST to drag someone out stuck in snow, NOT someone buried in 3 feet of mud.

http://www.amazon.com/Rugged-Ridge-15104-02-Premium-Recovery/dp/B002QSHIEU/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1325687631&sr=8-3

·
Registered
9 Posts
The reason hooks are not recommended for recovery purposes where snatch straps or kinetic ropes are involved is that they are not always rated for that type of loading, plus the safety factor with many hooks is way to low to even consider doing something like that.

Consider a 3/4 inch shackle that is commonly used with Jeeps, they have a working load limit of 4 3/4 tons, with a safety factor that translates into many of them being rated to 60,000 lbs or more for breaking strength.

A that is of a similar size (weight and physical size) often times has a breaking strength of 30,000 lbs or less.

For the snatch strap vs kinetic rope vs tow strap there are some things you should know.

1st - A tow strap is not a kinetic strap, it will give you minimal stretch and if you take a run at a pull you will end up putting a lot of stress on the vehicle and occupants. Tow straps are good for static towing, where you take the slack out of the strap and then start to tow.

2nd - A strap will never stretch as much as a rope. Even though snatch straps are advertised to stretch they will not stretch as much as a kinetic rope and you still will still feel like you are being jerked around.

3rd - Anything piece of recovery gear that stretches when you pull on it has inherent dangers associated with it. Be cautious when using a kinetic rope or strap to pull someone out who is stuck Always make sure the mounting points are strong enough for the pull and the rope is adequate for the vehicles. It is a good idea to use the least amount of force possible to recover someone, so start with a small pull and work your way up as needed.

-Alex

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
:whistling: :D

TOW strap--tow, don't "SNATCH"

Recovery (SNATCH)--

--Rope-pull kids/cans/dogs-

I have chains/hooks, but not for vehicle recovery-

:dance::rofl: JIMBO

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
JIMBOX said:
:whistling: :D

TOW strap--tow, don't "SNATCH"

Recovery (SNATCH)--

--Rope-pull kids/cans/dogs-

I have chains/hooks, but not for vehicle recovery-

:dance::rofl: JIMBO
The last one is rated for 20,000 lbs.. :rofl:

That was good Jim.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I know that this thread is really old, but I think it is easier if we have more info on the same thread than if we each raise a new one. I was also looking into snatch/kinetic and now I have experience with both. For stuck vehicles with good attachments point, the kinetic rope is worth every penny.

A short video comparison that I made. Hope it helps: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCHB7T4hZWE&t=12s

·
Premium Member
331 Posts
Safety

I read the thread above, and it's very informative.

Now, I agree about the hooks being deadly weapons being flung in the event of a catastrophic failure. However, what about closed hooks? The ones that have that spring loaded piece (like a rock climbers caribiener?) Still a bad idea right? It seems that the failure point is the strap, not the hook, so a locking hook would be "safe" no? Something like this...that way, if the strap indeed fails, the nylon goes flying, but the hook remains anchored in the d-shackle. Remember, I am NOT arguing, just trying to learn.

This is the strap I was looking at....keep in mind this will be used AT MOST to drag someone out stuck in snow, NOT someone buried in 3 feet of mud.

http://www.amazon.com/Rugged-Ridge-15104-02-Premium-Recovery/dp/B002QSHIEU/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1325687631&sr=8-3
NFRs2000NYC most Jeep clubs prohibit straps with hooks (closed/closures or not) for safety reasons.

Consider what happens when towing or strapping a vehicle once a stuck vehicle gets moving- the two vehicles towing and towed vehicles are often moving at slightly different speeds and the strap tensions and releases as the two vehicles cover uneven ground, or the towed vehicle brakes in an uncoordinated fashion.

A strap can come un-hooked if D-ring shackles or some other positive closure is not used.

The integral hook retaining clips you mention eventually get damaged with use and become ineffective. The metal hook always represents a danger if it gets propelled if a strap brakes or unhooked under tension/has energy in it.

The strap in the link you provided looks OK.

Care. Get a tool bag to keep the strap and some large D-rings in. Store it in an readily accessible location in your Jeep so you can get to it when you need it.

Keep it clean, away from oil and solvents and sunlight (UV) that will degrade it. Also try to keep it out of the dirt and physically clean - avoid Grit and abrasion if possible, they will wear the strap. Get a pair of large D-rings to assist in safe attachment of the strap to a vehicle if you can't establish an interlocked loop connection.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Anybody know if the strap that comes free with the jeep from warn is a tow or a recovery strap? I havent had occasion to use it fortunately...

·
Premium Member
8,690 Posts
Anybody know if the strap that comes free with the jeep from warn is a tow or a recovery strap? I havent had occasion to use it fortunately...
Tow, rated at 4800 lbs.

Reactions: AndyU

·
Registered
575 Posts
Since we are on the subject of recovery straps, is the Bubba Rope worth the asking price? Anyone run it?

·
Premium Member
8,690 Posts
Since we are on the subject of recovery straps, is the Bubba Rope worth the asking price? Anyone run it?
It is what I will run when I buy one and a couple of there synthetic shackles. I already have a winch so this has been low on my priority list.

·
Registered
74 Posts
The strap included with my 2016 JKU (Jeep red bag) has a Warn "recovery" strap - not a tow strap. The 2" wide strap is rated for 14,400 pounds.

·
Premium Member
8,690 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts