Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched and searched for this and surprised that I couldn't really find anything.

What's the difference in the kits? I found a pretty good deal on a used 2" Mopar lift, but it's for a JKU. The owner wasn't sure but thought the only difference was the spring rate.

Is that the only difference or are there other parts that would be different?

If it is just the spring rate, how much lift would that add? I've read a few say the Mopar kit is a "high 2 inch" lift, some saying as much as 3". I'm guessing stiffer springs would increase that even more. I'm trying not to go beyond 2.5" of lift just so the geometry isn't too far out of wack.

Anyways, and thoughts would be great. Thanks.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Even on a JKU the Mopar 2" lift actually gives you close to 3", so you're correct, on JK it might be even more.

There are very knowledgeable members here, hopefully they'll chime in soon.

·
Registered
23,965 Posts
What ^ he said.

JKU Weighs a little more, so you might get a little more lift on the JK.

That said. If said lift comes with complete with drive shafts.. the rear will not work on your JK, as the JKU is longer.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What ^ he said.

JKU Weighs a little more, so you might get a little more lift on the JK.

That said. If said lift comes with complete with drive shafts.. the rear will not work on your JK, as the JKU is longer.
It does not include the driveshaft. I'm guessing he left that on, but everything else is in the kit. I'm guessing more akin to the 2007-2011 that doesn't include the driveshaft. I'd probably go with exhaust extensions. Fox shocks and steering stabilizer. 3-5k miles. $550. Seems a good deal.

Just curious as a to what the main differences are between a JK lift and a JKU lift. So far I'm only aware that spring rate might be the only difference...and a difference that could affect everything else.

·
Registered
23,965 Posts
It does not include the driveshaft. I'm guessing he left that on, but everything else is in the kit. I'm guessing more akin to the 2007-2011 that doesn't include the driveshaft. I'd probably go with exhaust extensions. Fox shocks and steering stabilizer. 3-5k miles. $550. Seems a good deal.

Just curious as a to what the main differences are between a JK lift and a JKU lift. So far I'm only aware that spring rate might be the only difference...and a difference that could affect everything else.
Rite.

Shoot, $550 don’t sound bad. But I haven’t looked up that lift in awhile.

If the spring rate is like anything that came on the JK/JKU’s from the factory... hell, it could be all over the place, With no telling what you are actually getting.

I don’t want to scare you away from it at all.

Search individual part numbers for the springs on said lift, And see if the seller can verify what he has.

My$.02 anyway.

·
Premium Member
2,474 Posts
There is a large MOPAR lift kit thread. It has the parts list in it in multiple locations. Check that list against what the seller is offering. If it’s just the shocks and springs I’m not sure it’s a good deal. There are a lot of bits and pieces that make it one of the premier kits.

·
Premium Member
926 Posts
Sounds like a smokin deal. Go for it. Worse case scenario your front lifts too high and you need to play catchup on the rear/geometry etc

·
Super Moderator
6,806 Posts
I would expect more of a discount for a used suspension kit, especially if it is missing anything. I would not pay more than half price for used suspension. The earlier Mopar lifts weren't as nice as the later versions, made by a different supplier. And the version for the newer JK / JKU includes a front drive shaft where as the version for older JK / JKUs doesn't. The older version is again cheaper new.
If you put a JKU lift on a JK you will ride higher than it otherwise would. Usually it is around an inch difference between the springs for the JKU vs JK. The 2.5" JKU springs are the 3.5" JK springs.

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
Sounds like a smokin deal. Go for it. Worse case scenario your front lifts too high and you need to play catchup on the rear/geometry etc
it will be the opposite, the front coils on the mopar 2" kits are the same the rears are what are different so using jku rear coils on a jk will lift the rear of the jk more..

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
There is a large MOPAR lift kit thread. It has the parts list in it in multiple locations. Check that list against what the seller is offering. If it’s just the shocks and springs I’m not sure it’s a good deal. There are a lot of bits and pieces that make it one of the premier kits.
totally agree. the coils are cheap so if just coils and shocks mostly paying for the shocks and you can get some very good shocks for that much.

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
Correct... The only difference is spring rate. Generally the JK will achieve an extra 1” lift when using the JKU rated springs. I believe TeraFlex double rated their springs ie same spring 3” lift on 4dr, 4” lift on 2dr.
A 2-2.5” lift should not include driveshafts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the replies. I've decided not to do it because there's some pieces missing comparing the picture he sent and what I have found online. I'm not even sure what those pieces are. That and dealing with the spring rate is just too much to have to mess with.

It's good to know the spring rate is the only difference between JK and JKU kits.

Thanks again!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts