Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of purchasing an extra engine for my Wrangler... I found a 4.0 out of a 1996. Mine is a 2000. What are the differences? What would I have to modify?

I know the 96 has the distributor and the 2000 has the rail. Is that a big deal to make work?
Also, is the exhaust set up different?

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
there was no 96. yj ended in 95 tj started in 97 thats all i know

·
Knows a couple things...
49,399 Posts
There were '96 Cherokee and Grand Cherokee 4.0L engines.

The ignitions are different enough that you'd need to change the ECM (engine computer) to swap to the older engine and I'd guess that the rest of the Jeep would not be happy with the older ECM either. The exhaust header is different too. Block and head-wise, I can only guess that they are probably similar.

·
Registered
12,000 Posts
The 2000 motor has a few significant changes:

1) They changed the location where the motor mounts bolt up
2) The head was redesigned to keep up with emissions requirements, the exhaust ports were reduced to half the size of its predecessors. (The 00-02 heads were prone to cracking due to a copper deficiency)
3) The head is provisioned for coil bosses for the coil on plug ignition
4) The only good thing to come of the new motor was the redesigned intake manifold which has higher flow due to the revised cam profile and choked off exhaust ports

Your best bet would be to find an 03+ motor to swap in.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There were '96 Cherokee and Grand Cherokee 4.0L engines.

The ignitions are different enough that you'd need to change the ECM (engine computer) to swap to the older engine and I'd guess that the rest of the Jeep would not be happy with the older ECM either. The exhaust header is different too. Block and head-wise, I can only guess that they are probably similar.
The 2000 motor has a few significant changes:

1) They changed the location where the motor mounts bolt up
2) The head was redesigned to keep up with emissions requirements, the exhaust ports were reduced to half the size of its predecessors. (The 00-02 heads were prone to cracking due to a copper deficiency)
3) The head is provisioned for coil bosses for the coil on plug ignition
4) The only good thing to come of the new motor was the redesigned intake manifold which has higher flow due to the revised cam profile and choked off exhaust ports

Your best bet would be to find an 03+ motor to swap in.

Thanks for the responses. It was just going to be my "just in case" engine.

I think I will keep looking.

I JUST went through the cracked head thing..... :banghead:

·
Registered
12,000 Posts
Happened to a friend of mine as well.. he bought a rolled 99 thinking they were the same.. even went so far as to have the head redone.. checked for true deck, new valve guides and seals as he was just going to swap heads.. that turned out to not work for stated reasons.. then thought just swap the whole motor in which again didn't work for obvious reasons.. he ended up catching it in time and used sealer and retorqued the head and hasn't had problems since..

Depending on your mileage you might just throw a newer head on.. it'll probably run anywhere from $6-800 on the high side for parts if you're willing to do the work yourself.. but again that would depend on whether or not you feel the bottom end should be rebuilt

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I'm way past that part. Had head rebuilt, put it back on and.... No Bueno... At higher rpm's it sounded like someone was hammering on the hood. Engine rebuild is almost complete. Getting stroked out!!
This was just going to be a second just in case I some how ruined the stroker on the trails some day.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
darkproximity said:
2003 and up are all revised castings of the 0331 head
God, I wish they had taken responsibility for their mistake and recalled all the heads from those years. It would have made my life a lot easier.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I think I will keep looking.
Now your thinkin !!!
I see your in Texas and I know they have Veh. inspections in the State.
Not sure WHAT all that entails, and if you have emissions to also consider.
You may want to do some more research on WHAT would be acceptable
for an Engine Transplant, BEFORE you leap into a bottomless pit.

By the way, I also have the 2000 4.0 w/ 145,000 on the clock, Never an issue.
KNOCK ON WOOD !!!!

·
Registered
12,000 Posts
The_horseman said:
I have a 99' TJ and want to put a 93 head in. Does anyone see any problems with that swap? Thanks.
Nope, you'll just need to plug the hole in the top of the head where the water temp gauge sending unit goes.

OBDI used that location just to feed the temp gauge, the computer pulls the temp from the tstat housing..

OBDII the temp for the computer is pulled at the tstat housing and the computer feeds the gauge.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts