Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any real difference other than the lockers and the electric disconnect? And the hood decal.

·
Super Moderator
15,389 Posts
Differences:
Front D44
Sway bar discos
4:1 Transfer case
Front/rear Lockers
Standard gear ratio
Rock rails
Springs
Shocks
Wheels
Tires

If you don't need any of those differences then a Sahara is a good choice.

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
And chrome (now body colored for 2016) trim on the bumpers and standard painted fenders.

·
Registered
208 Posts
If you don't take it off-roading ever, or will take it to easy trails .......take a Sahara ( spend budget : price you buy it for)

If you will do some crazy stuff, and want a crazy stuff ready rig........take a rubicon ( you will still need a basic coil lift of 2.5" to clear "some crazy stuff, winch bumper etc ) ( $50,000 )

If you will do really crazy stuff.......then you can either take a sports and build it up completely to your needs .......or take a rubicon and build not that much up...to make it crazy ready ($60,000 and counting)

Hope this helps :))

·
Registered
351 Posts
Well, you can get a Sahara and giant tires and go canyoneering. I don't see the difference at that point.... kinda expensive to get the lockers and junk I suppose.

I think the "Saharas are for losers that don't go wheeling" sentiment comes from people that get a Rubicon without power windows or any of the nice things because they wanted the lockers. And made priorities.

That's totally fine with me lol. I haven't actually driven my Jeep off road yet.

·
Registered
997 Posts
I went the rubicon route due to wanting the heavier duty drivetrain components. The rubicon hard rock I went with also had several standard features that weren't even options on the Sahara. Had to bump up to the altitude and bythetime everything was added the loaded up altitude was within a few hundred dollars of a lightly equipped rubicon hard rock.

You can also go the willy's or willy's w route and gain the rubicon suspension w/o the electronic sways and some other things.

Go to jeep.com, their confusing site has a spreadsheet where you can compare the models

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
Or buy a sport/sahara...save the money on the worthless factory stuff and spend the money on the good parts. It doesn't cost 50k-60k for a built jeep. Unless u have a shop tell u what u need.

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
Right, those factory lockers are so worthless ... ok bud.
I haven't needed a locker yet. And I rock climb. The factory bld works wonders. But that's OK u bought into the hype of a Rubicon is the ultimate off road machine. I'll still go more places than most of u do on this site.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I haven't needed a locker yet. And I rock climb. The factory bld works wonders. But that's OK u bought into the hype of a Rubicon is the ultimate off road machine. I'll still go more places than most of u do on this site.
you don't know what we do.... Lol.... But the factory BLD works great ...... Will get you out of the same situations as will lockers ......lockers sometimes make it easier and without stressing components ... Depends on the driver a lot.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
wow, i bet you're tough and have a big weenie too!!!!

·
Registered
351 Posts
I went the rubicon route due to wanting the heavier duty drivetrain components. The rubicon hard rock I went with also had several standard features that weren't even options on the Sahara. Had to bump up to the altitude and bythetime everything was added the loaded up altitude was within a few hundred dollars of a lightly equipped rubicon hard rock.
I wanted a hard rock too hehe. Those look so nice. But they were a bit out of my budget, especially with the options I wanted.

·
Premium Member
6,913 Posts
Is there any real difference other than the lockers and the electric disconnect? And the hood decal.
Among other options, the Sahara has an available LSD. That will make it handle wet, icy, snowy road conditions better than a Rubicon. Ask yourself where you'll be spending 99% of the time driving your Jeep.

A stock Sahara also has a slightly higher ground clearance than a stock Rubicon, if that matters to you.

·
Registered
4,362 Posts
[QUOTE="RoadiJeff; A stock Sahara also has a slightly higher ground clearance than a stock Rubicon, if that matters to you.[/QUOTE]

Say what?...

1 - 20 of 146 Posts