Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First and foremost, I’ll state my current setup. I’m running a 3” BDS lift with ¾” spacers up front and a 1” BL/ 1” MML with 33x12.5 tires. I have stock fenders, flares, and control arms. My bumpstops are currently set to where my tire is a fraction of an inch away from contact with my fender, but doesn’t touch. My tires tuck right inside my flare and do not make contact with them. I’m not adding anymore lift to it, and if anything, lowering it a bit.

Thinking about the future of my build and wanting to step up to 35s, I’ve been reading a lot on the forums about the best way to do it. I have stumbled into many LCOG threads pertaining to the matter. I feel as though I mostly understand the concept of bumpstopping to limit uptravel and gain downtravel through longer shocks. I have looked into highline tube fenders, as well as regular tubes and I like the look. My beef with the regular tubes is that I won’t be gaining any extra clearance to run the larger 35s than with my stock fenders. Therefore, I’d have to increase my bumpstops to keep the tires from hitting. With the highlines, most manufacturers say you can run 35s with no lift and their fenders, however a lot of people add around 2-2.5”. They have to bumpstop to limit uptravel due to the smaller gap. With my TJ sitting on a combined ~4.5” (assuming .25” sag) in the front and ~4” in the rear, I was thinking about doing highline fenders and running 35s. Because I would have more of a gap between the tire and fender, I would think that I wouldn’t need anymore bumpstop with the 35s and, if anything, could possibly remove a little since my tires probably wouldn’t rub at full stuff. Thus, I’d keep the same or maybe gain a small amount of uptravel. Granted, I’d have to keep just enough bumpstop to prevent bottoming out my shocks at full compression. I realize highline fenders give a lot of clearance and if the gap was too big to bear with, I could remove the ¾” spacer. If it was still too big, I could sell my 3” springs in favor of some 2-2.5”. If I did that, from what I understand, I could keep my 3” shocks and have more downtravel. However, I would like to keep my current lift if possible. I can appreciate the full LCOG builds but I don’t want to fully go down that path with mine. I’m not particularly concerned with the increased COG by sitting at ~4.5/4” compared to 2.5-3”. At this time, I’m not planning on a TT although I like them and fully recognize their benefits. This is one of the reasons I’d like to stay at 3.5-4.5” total lift height, so I could keep as much belly clearance as possible with the shovel. I mainly like the look of highlines and feel as though I can get more out of my suspension by adding them with larger tires than increasing my lift height. Am I thinking correctly? Is this a good, viable option for me? Any cons of running this setup?

I am most definitely not an expert on this subject, nor do I claim to be, so feel free to comment with opinions and suggestions or links of valuable reading material. I’m in college and on a tight budget, so I’m trying to be as savvy as I can be without being cheap. Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance!

Here are two pics of my rig for reference:

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Depending on the fenders, you WOULD be gaining clearance. Clearance isnt necessarily above the tire, but to the rear of the tire as well. I have the poison spyder non-hilines ona 4" spring lift and could easily fit 35s under there. Bumpstop adjustment as necessary.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I did the DIY fender lift and gained 3.5" in the front, and a bit more in the back. That equals a 7" larger tire with the same clearance to the fenders. It's a touch less than that in reality when the tire is turned, but still a huge increase in clearance.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I did the DIY fender lift and gained 3.5" in the front, and a bit more in the back. That equals a 7" larger tire with the same clearance to the fenders. It's a touch less than that in reality when the tire is turned, but still a huge increase in clearance.
DIY fender lift? I am curious...

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Very nice. I've looked at your setup before. One of my buddies did the same thing and I could probably get him to help me if I went that route. Free is good. The only thing that's kept me from doing that is some damage on both of my factory fenders. They don't quite look the best and are missing paint/a little rusty in places. Do you think the DIY highline would work with cheap standard tubes such as the CCFabs? Since they retain the factory inner, I don't see it being too much different...
I went with full metal cloak. First pic is stock suspension and next 2 is 3" savvy springs and 1"BL. Tires are 37s

View attachment 1146178

View attachment 1146186

View attachment 1146202
Damn that looks good! I'm a big fan of the Metalcloak arched fenders. I almost bought a pair of fronts during the free shipping deal but am hesitant to drop that much money. Although the bolt on installation and full replacement is a big plus...

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Do you think the DIY highline would work with cheap standard tubes such as the CCFabs? Since they retain the factory inner, I don't see it being too much different...
The hardest part by far is forming to the headlights. If they are curved around the light, it would be a ton of work to make them fit at a higher level.
You need to bend this gap to fit. There are a couple crinkles that form, but it's a jeep and it was $1000s less than AEV.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Have you considered addressing your ground clearance issues instead of making fender modifications. I think your rig will be more capable if you removed the stock tcase skid and those clearance robbing sliders instead of installing a set of 35 with fender mods.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Have you considered addressing your ground clearance issues instead of making fender modifications. I think your rig will be more capable if you removed the stock tcase skid and those clearance robbing sliders instead of installing a set of 35 with fender mods.
Agreed. I'd rather have clearance than wheel travel, at least insofar as the options being discussed. 1" of axle clearance by going to 35", and all the work involved to get it. Seems like the cost/effort vs reward of a proper tuck would be money/time better spent, especially as it sets you up for future improvements quite nicely.

This of course is also assuming that you would be needing to change gearing to run the 35" tires properly as well as fitting them. ;)

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Yeah, a custom flat skid is on the list, but I need to get my shop built first so I can use my welders. I have some 3/8" aluminum plate that might work with the universal weld in trans crossmember. I went from 31s to 35s. That is 2" of extra diff clearance, and extra shovel clearance. I tend to drag my difs far more than the shovel, and that's why I did that first. Plus it looks way cooler:bop:

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have my current sliders up for sale and am about to order a new tub mounted set. The low clearance is what I didn't like about my current set. I'm still researching tummy tucks to see how I want to go about it. Probably crossmember & flat skid. But money is tight and I haven't ever got stuck because of the shovel so it's staying for the short term. I'll be doing 4.88s when I go to 35s at the same time. This post was to aid in my planning for a little down the road. I'm staying with my 33s for right now.:)

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I guess you got to take a logical look at it then.... what does cause you to get stuck?

Identify the problem area would be a good starting point. If the tummy isn't the issue, don't spend money on it. Is it trail damage? Flex? Front/rear clearance? Dif clearance? rocker clearance? traction?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts