Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two sets of tires, 225/75/R15, and 225/70/R15. I'm wondering, putting the smaller on the front and the larger on the back shouldn't mess with the driveshaft or steering or anything, right? I figure one inch difference in height shouldn't mess with anything too much.

Edit: I'm really hoping it won't mess with the driveshaft...cuz I'm putting them on either way, and I found out how easy it is to snap the u-joint and the spline going into the rear end on a 2000 tahoe two days ago.... (Although, to be fair, it has 258K miles, most of which have been spent towing. I was doing the speed limit, and BAM... not fun. Well, actually, it kinda was. But hey.)

·
Registered
14 Posts
I wouldn't do it. The smaller tires are the same width, but shorter. The shorter tires will end up spinning more revolutions than the taller tires eventually causing transfer case, drive shaft, and maybe tranny problems. The Taller tires are only 5% taller, so there might be enough play, but I doubt it. No way would I do it.

·
Registered
8,162 Posts
definately wouldn't do it, and i don't know where you get an inch from. anyway, if you absolutely had to, with the same size tires on each axle you can get away with it, but you absolutely can't use 4wd.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mmmk. I got the inch from a tire size converter-70 came out to 27 inches, 75 to 28. I do have 215/75's as well, so I can have them mounted for a few dollars, and have the same height but different width, which is much safer I suppose. Thank you for the advice though : )

1 - 4 of 4 Posts