Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats the difference say between a 99 and an 03? What year did the rubis start? And what year did the unlimiteds start? Do i want an unlimited?

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
Well, What do you want to do with the jeep?

~Lev

·
Drives by Braille
13,642 Posts
Both the Rubicons and Unlimiteds started in 2003... and also in 2003 they started using the 3-speed automatics with overdrive.

·
Registered
529 Posts
unlimited = longer wheelbase = better ride.

·
WF Graphics Bitch
544 Posts
Both the Rubicons and Unlimiteds started in 2003... and also in 2003 they started using the 3-speed automatics with overdrive.
4 speed :)

·
Registered
857 Posts
In addition to what AzTJ said about models and the AT; in 00 and 03 the 4L got several engine upgrades and runs smoother. Engine switched from plugs/wires to coil pack. Also in 03 the overall length got 2" longer and 1" taller (not sure where these differences show up but that's why tops are specific to 97-02, 03-06). Also in 03 the front w/s got leaned back about 4 degrees. In 06 they introduced the 6-spd MT. That's about all I know.

·
WF Graphics Bitch
544 Posts
The coil-on-plug/rail system showed up on 2001 models actually.

They also received a slightly redesigned interior (a bit more up to date and into the 21st century with its lines) and additional trim around the windshield. A vent was added to the tailgate, and plastic trim was added to the tailgate hinges. The font on the model badges changed (sport, sahara, 4.0, etc.) The center bezel received rounded edges around the radio. I THINK "Trail Rated" became a marketing gimmic too? too not sure. The gauge cluster had its 'incremental readout lines' changed to incremental dots for the movement.

The temperature controls on the HVAC became 'smart' - and responded to temperature automatically, even though the knobs are still analog style. The factory undercoating on the body was no longer really supplied - the body was altered so it wasn't needed, and a central body control module was added to take care of all the 'creature comfort' and electrical features in one location as opposed to scattered throughout various relays and such. The evap/emmissions system was relocated into the rear passenger corner to accomodate the location of the body control module in the engine bay. The transfer case skid was redesigned because of the Rubicon package now being an option. It sits lower and is bigger - only downside? not much of one. The heat shields were changed from a press formed sheet metal piece to a formed fiberglass/stainless bonded material, which reduces some rattles on some occasions. Rear disc brakes became a factory option maybe? When was the 2.5L replaced with the 2.4L on 4 cyl models? it might have been at this time as well.

Two windshield nozzles were reduced to one in the middle. Seats were changed out to something larger (all I know is they're more comfortable for me and I'm a big fella), and shifted back 3" more.

Basically the whole platform was refined and a bunch of quirks were resolved - if I had the choice today; I'd DEFINITELY go for a 2003+ model if I couldn't go for a JK, not because they're newer, but because the changes made it a cleaner/better platform.

That's all I can think of for now - I'll post up more if I can remember it.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Ummm. Yea, what he said.

Now that's from freakin details brutha.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Cool,yea im selling my 99 sahara and am looking for a rubi i guess and i guess it will be a 2003 or 4. looking for a stock one that i can build the way i want it and hasnt been offroaded yet :) I might have to pass on the rubi unlimited because of $$$$$
Should i get an xj???????????????

·
Registered
1,249 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Just take a week off of work and buy yourself a one way plane ticket. ;)

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Actually, "Jeep Tail-Rated" signifies that the vehicles have passed offroad testing by the Nevada Automotive Test Center (NATC) -- which evaluates vehicles for traction, ground clearance, offroad articulation and water fording. :D And it is great for marketing. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
Actually, "Jeep Tail-Rated" signifies that the vehicles have passed offroad testing by the Nevada Automotive Test Center (NATC) -- which evaluates vehicles for traction, ground clearance, offroad articulation and water fording. :D And it is great for marketing. :rolleyes:
Yea, I mentioned that in another thread. What I meant is it started in 03. Should have explained my self again. "Yup" is kinda, how should we say it? Lazy ^_^

What I want to know is how do we know which are real "Trail-Rated" Rigs because you can just buy the badges off the net?

~Lev

1 - 17 of 17 Posts