Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I was giving my new rubi a deep cleaning and noticed the sticker that goes on the door was missing. That made me curious and started checking the vin numbers on the car. Everything was matching except the frame. The vin number on the frame is very alike but 3 or 4 numbers are different.

The Jeep is a clean title (Florida) and it started as a New Jersey Jeep, but was only there for 3 years (according to the carfax). Previous owner bought it at a reputable dealer (Autonation Toyota) and everything checks out on the carfax.

Anyone have any input on this? This is very weird

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I would only think that maybe the frame rotted and someone changed it? But I'm sure there would be signs of rust throughout the Jeep which there are not. The jeep is rust free all around

·
Registered
808 Posts
Sounds like you have a different frame. If the tub and the engine match but the frame doesn't, the frame has probably been replaced.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ran the vin it shows it's from a Sahara. Now my question is: if the frame was replaced, wouldn't that make the Jeep a rebuilt title?

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Ran the vin it shows it's from a Sahara. Now my question is: if the frame was repl one aced, wouldn't that make the Jeep a rebuilt title?
I don't think so. There are many TJ's driving around with swapped frames for which no one applied for a salvage title.

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
Ran the vin it shows it's from a Sahara. Now my question is: if the frame was replaced, wouldn't that make the Jeep a rebuilt title?
It would have had to have been reported by an insurance company. Likely the PO bought the frame and either installed it, or had a shop install it...and didn't make an insurance claim.

Reactions: trickydoc

·
Registered
437 Posts
It's not unheard of and you might want to add the other number to your title. Make some discrete inquiries to people you know who have access to authorities.

I'm going to buy a spare frame when I get the chance. This is too common.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I may be able to offer assistance.

(PM sent.)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts