Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone any advice to speed up a fluid change for my differentials, have never done it on a jeep but my old dakota was less than fun. any tips advise would be great

97tj SE almost stock

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that would be fantastic if it worked. any thoughts? if i do have to drop the case anyone drilled and tapped a drain at the bottom? would be fairly easy and make things so much faster

·
Jeeper
11,419 Posts
Just pull the plug, let that drain, then crack the cover, drain out what comes, unbolt it, pry it open, drain, clean, reseal it, put it back together and refill... It's not hard, and doesn't take that long....

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
think thats the plan any suggestions for what to seal it with? i was just being lazy because everytime i open them up i seem to have trouble with getting a good seal after.

·
Aka Vaultzz
5,624 Posts
You have 3 options for sealers:

1. A cheap 1 time use gasket
2. A re-useable gasket
3. RTV it

·
Jeeper
11,419 Posts
RTV was used on mine.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ya time for some tlc for my tj.... oil change, tranny fluid change diff fluid change pressure test the rad and finally figure out where i sometime lose coolant to... heat gun to the plastic flares, some body work and a spray bombing.... anyone got any tips for the horrible peely white crap that is so common on the side mirrors. looks like the fiancees sunfire is about to die so gunna put the work into my tj and upgrade her to a real car before i upgrade

·
Registered
738 Posts
Don't let anybody fool you jebby. It's a pain in the neck when lying on your back in your driveway. Much easier when using a hoist so you can walk under it. All very doable though. Some differentials have drain holes which makes it easier for sure.
Here's my experience:
Front
Rear
Reusable gaskets

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
oh trust me i know they are not alot of fun... especially since its freckin freezing out now. think it would be worth it to add a drain hole well i have the cover off?

·
Registered
738 Posts
oh trust me i know they are not alot of fun... especially since its freckin freezing out now. think it would be worth it to add a drain hole well i have the cover off?
The crude squeeze bulb pump system I used worked real well. There are small fluid pumps available which will also come in handy when changing your transmission and transfer case fluids.

Drain holes make a lot of sense. How often do you plan on changing the differential fluid though? Here's a transmission drain plug that can be installed. Might catch on something when offroading though. Wonder if you can buy covers with recessed drain holes in them. Considering it's Jeep, the answer is likely "yes".

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i suppose not that often... just nice to be able to do a quick change after playing in the water too much.... thanks for the advice... thinking ill just deal with it and do it right instead of trying to pump it out

·
Registered
892 Posts
i suppose not that often... just nice to be able to do a quick change after playing in the water too much.... thanks for the advice... thinking ill just deal with it and do it right instead of trying to pump it out
I dont see why you cant pump it out tho if the tube can reach the bottom

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
how fragile are the gears inside? wouldnt want to hurt anything trying to jam a hose to the bottom

·
Registered
738 Posts
I used soft copper tubing. Rattled the gears a couple of times. :D
The tubing was easier to get to the bottom and stay there while I pumped. I wouldn't worry about any damage (copper versus steel - no challenge)

·
Registered
892 Posts
I used soft copper tubing. Rattled the gears a couple of times. :D
The tubing was easier to get to the bottom and stay there while I pumped. I wouldn't worry about any damage (copper versus steel - no challenge)
so its doable using a pump to pump it out without dropping the case?

·
Registered
738 Posts
The thing is one of the reasons the cases are designed like they are is so you pull the cover when doing the change. That way you are looking at what is going on inside the unit. You can inspect the gears and see what kind of crap is in there. It also allows you to clean out any residual muck in the case. It is a real easy job, even easier if you buy the re-usable gaskets. One trick is to drive the Jeep for a while before and get the oil warmed up helps it drain a lot faster, especially if it is cold outside.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts