Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the Jeep world. I have a 97 wrangler with 35's. Was told the the gears in both the front and rear axles have been changed to 4.88's. The differential plates are leaking on both. So I was wondering first gasket or sealant and second what fluid to put back in? I have been told to use the sealant no gasket but in that case why do they make a gasket? Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
89 Posts
A lot of 97s didn't even come with a gasket. Sounds crazy but true. I put sealant on mine because if you do a lot of ofroading you will need to keep the oil changed regular. Or I do anyway

·
Knows a couple things...
49,002 Posts
There is a reusable gasket called the LubeLocker you can use instead of RTV sealant. I used RTV for many years but switched to the LubeLocker several years ago due to not having to strip the old RTV off and reseal it with fresh RTV, a time consuming process. But if you want to use RTV since it can be easily locally sourced, the best of the Mopar RTV available at any Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep parts department. Or use Gear OIL RTV by Permatex, or Ultra Black RTV also by Permatex. Those are in order of desirability.

In terms of gear lube, nearly any GL-5 gear lube will be fine. Valvoline 75W-90 is a good choice for most needs, something heavier like 85W-140 or 80W-120 if you tow or do extreme forms of offroading. The exact viscosity is not critical, anywhere close to the those viscosities will be fine. Many axle manufacturers are now requiring that a conventional (non-synthetic) gear lube be used since discovering the ring & pinion gears run cooler in a conventional gear lube than in a synthetic gear lube.

·
Jeeper
5,096 Posts
I have to give a thumbs up for the Lubelocker gaskets.Last week i ripped my rear diff skid off on a pretty good sized rock which caused 3 bolts to be ripped out of the diff.I didnt have any leaks even though I was missing those bolts.
Lubelocker does mention these are one time use gaskets but Im betting you could reuse them a few times.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts