Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started to change diff lube front and rear. Front looked but when I pulled the rear cover this what I found. Rust on inside cover and on 1/3 of ring gear. What would cause this.
PO or someone has been in there because they left small gouges from removing sealant.

image-2281442997.jpg

image-2601606766.jpg

·
Registered
592 Posts
Ya water definitely got in there before it sat for a while.

How does the actual ring gear look? Any rust on the teeth? The surface rust on the ring side of the case and the inside of the cover can certainly be cleaned off with scotch Brite or brass brush.

Rust on the actual gears would be another story.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ya water definitely got in there before it sat for a while. How does the actual ring gear look? Any rust on the teeth? The surface rust on the ring side of the case and the inside of the cover can certainly be cleaned off with scotch Brite or brass brush. Rust on the actual gears would be another story.
No rust on ring gear itself just on the mounting plate (if that's what it's called) of ring gear.

·
Registered
8,952 Posts
No rust on ring gear itself just on the mounting plate (if that's what it's called) of ring gear.
called the "carrier". as said, somebody got water in the diff and it sat for a while. I wouldn't be worried about what you see - you can clean most of it off with a wire brush. Blow out the dust with air & brake cleaner, let it all dry, clean out the housing well and putting new oil in. I would be worried about the carrier & pinion bearings, which you can't see. If you know how, it might be worth pulling the carrier to inspect the carrier bearing & races.....

my neighbor just bought a buggy built Jeep and he found the same thing. It's got uber expensive built Dynatrac axles.....but alll the bearings were trashed....PO had got water in the diff off-road and then parked it & let it sit. My neighbor has to replace all the hub bearings and carrier/pinion bearings....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts