Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed a few drops of fluid under the rear diff today. I was telling my cousin about it and his did the same thing. His mechanic said it was because of the extreme cold; it has been in the single digits this week. It hadn’t leaked before and it didn’t leak today when it was warmer.

Is this a really a thing? I was planning to replace the cover with a better one anyway, but not immediately.

·
Premium Member
1,337 Posts
Yes, cold affect different metals and seals at different rates. Shrinkage occurs when things get cold. Different materials shrink at different rates. I am nor referring to Seinfeld shrinkage. That is a bit different.

·
Premium Member
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ha! Thanks for confirming.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
I'm in Manitoba and in the dead of Winter we can get down to around -40F or more, and yes.... strange things happen to vehicles when the temp goes down.

I can't say I have ever seen my diffs leaking, but when it gets down to around -15 my windshield washer tank starts leaking, and at around -20 the steering gear shaft starts with a bit of a drip.

What part of the diff starts leaking.... the pinion shaft or diff cover?

·
Premium Member
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm in Manitoba and in the dead of Winter we can get down to around -40F or more, and yes.... strange things happen to vehicles when the temp goes down.

I can't say I have ever seen my diffs leaking, but when it gets down to around -15 my windshield washer tank starts leaking, and at around -20 the steering gear shaft starts with a bit of a drip.

What part of the diff starts leaking.... the pinion shaft or diff cover?
I need to crawl under and look. I’m pretty sure it’s the diff cover, though. I might head to 4WP and pick up a new cover, sealant and fluid today and work on it tomorrow. If it’s the pinion shaft it’ll be heading to the dealer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts