Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a set of 4.11 axles but I want to refresh/ rebuild them.

Dana 30
-axle seals/ pinion seal
-ball joints
-bearings
-axle shaft ujoints

Dana 35
-axle seals/ pinion seal

How many shaft seals are in the front diff?

My stock axles are 3.55's could I place the 4.11 gears in a 3.55 axle in the dana 35?

·
Registered
667 Posts
you are wasting your money on a Dana 35 Junk it find something else

Dana 44, Ford 9", Ford 8.8 Isuzo Dana 44

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nobody has torn there diffs apart?

·
Administrator
12,630 Posts
if you have a complete dana 35 with 4.11 just slap the new axle under the jeep.. As for the axle it self. For around $500 you could slap a ford 8.8 in there(which came with 4.11) and have a great rear axle vs the dana 35... most used in yards are under $200 bucks... mounts $125.. u-joint flange $40 and new brakes $200, calipers etc... has to be welded but if you can do that or know someone who can its a nice upgrade..

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I dont drive it enough to care about the 8.8 swap. I got both axles for $100. I want to redo the front one with new seals. Nobody can tell me on the number of seals. I want to put the 4.11's in my 3.55 case but again nobody can tell me if they'd fit.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
94Wrangler4.0 said:
I dont drive it enough to care about the 8.8 swap. I got both axles for $100. I want to redo the front one with new seals. Nobody can tell me on the number of seals. I want to put the 4.11's in my 3.55 case but again nobody can tell me if they'd fit.
Iv torn these axles apart and put a lot of money into them. Swaping the cases needs to be done by a pro axel guy. He's gotta set the pinion gear to mesh right with the ring gear. Also if you did that you need to also do the front because both axles need to be the same ratio. The amount of money to do it and do it right just isn't worth it.

·
Administrator
12,630 Posts
front 30 1 seal on drivers side one at the diso as i recall. is there something wrong with the new to you rear axle that you just can't unbolt the old axle and swap in the new one? Far easier than a gear change over.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have a buddy who sets axles, so labor is cheap. I know both ratios have to be the same. The new to me rear axle, the tubes are really rusty from sitting in the ground. I know the one I have with the 3.55s is fine. Thanks for the help. I didnt want to forget anything when I place my parts order.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
94Wrangler4.0 said:
I have a buddy who sets axles, so labor is cheap. I know both ratios have to be the same. The new to me rear axle, the tubes are really rusty from sitting in the ground. I know the one I have with the 3.55s is fine. Thanks for the help. I didnt want to forget anything when I place my parts order.
You can buy a rebuild kit with barrings and everything. That's something that would be a good idea to look into

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I might just do that

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
94Wrangler4.0 said:
I might just do that
I would take it into high consideration. You buddy who sets up axles would say the same thing. Heck he might just do it anyways.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts