Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm replacing the seal in my 2001 wrangler tomorrow ... Is there anything I should know? I have 75w-140 with limited slip gear oil and for a seal I'm gonna use high temp red RTV silicone gasket maker
This will be my first time doing something like this so any help is appreciated

Attachments

·
Registered
414 Posts
Don't go overboard on the silicone. All you need is about a 1/4" or slightly less bead right down the middle of the sealing face of the cover and a small ring around each bolt hole. I've always laid out the bead and then smoothed it across the sealing face with my finger, this way you can be more sure of even coverage.

Use a scotch bright pad or something similar to clean both sealing faces (cover and center section) well.

You can use brake cleaner to clean the fine filings and muck out of the inside of the center section and bearings (if you want to) if you clean the bearings, allow about 15 or so minutes just to make sure that all of the solvent has evaporated.

Make sure the sealing faces are clean and dry, brake clean works best for this. When you put everything back together, you want the silicone to be between fresh out of the tube and setup. Basically let it get a little bit of a skin on the exposed face and then put the cover back on. This will help to form more of a "gasket" and keep the majority of the silicone from squeezing out when you tighten the bolts. Don't put the silicone on until you are ready to put it back together.

·
Registered
34,587 Posts
I normally use bust the black RTV and never have a problem.

·
The Bad Guy
23,245 Posts
I normally use bust the black RTV and never have a problem.
^This. Leave the bead alone and don't try to "smooth" it out, Too much of a chance that you will reduce coverage. If any excess hangs out, you can trim it with a sharp knife when it drys, or just leave it alone.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Try the TJ forum?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts