Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

i have a 2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited and need more traction. With the exception of some external upgrades, and an Old Man Emu 2 inch lift kit, the car is pretty much stock.

I was thinking that ARB Air Lockers + 33 inch wheels would do the trick.

What I don't know is if I should change the gear rations on the differentials to compensate for the larger wheels.

In addition, I'm concerned that my smaller axels may not be able to cut it, as my Jeep is not a Rubicon.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Joel

·
Registered
54 Posts
Joel,

Lots of answers to your question. First, I have been running 33's on my stock TJ (D30/D35) for 20 years with 3.73 gears, no problem, so you don't necessarily have to change anything. You will want to change the speedo gear on the T-case so your speedometer reads correctly. You need to start with your ratio and go from there.

Recently, I decided to go with 35s, and while others have run 35s on stock axles, I chose to upgrade the axles to avoid trouble: Front is HPD30 and Nitro sleeves with Artec gussets chromoly shafts, spin free 30 spline hubs; rear is D44 with Ox locker, 35 spline chromoly shafts. Also, 4.56:1 gears. The 4.56 gears are almost mandatory with 35s, IMO, although many ignore that. Google jeep tire size and gear ratio for the right ratio with 33s for your JK. Bolt pattern is 5x5.5, but that is not a necessary upgrade.

If you are going to lock the rear, look at Ox first. I think it is far better than ARB, and it has a drive away lock, too. Also look at upgrading the shafts while you are at it. If your front is D30, I would not lock it. Heard a lot of stories breaking the D30 with a locker. Just too much stress on it.

That's my 2c.

Charles

·
Registered
146 Posts
Bondoroj. You don't furnish enough info to be too specific, but I'll try to help. Not knowing what axles you have hurts the answer. I'm going to assume you do not have a Rubicon and that you have a D44 rear and a D30 front. If this is not the case and you have a D35 rear, my first recommendation is to replace the D35. I don't know what kind of wheeling you plan to do, so other assumptions must be made. If you plan to wheel it hard, I would upgrade to D44 front and rear minimum, with 35" tires. If you wheel just moderately, a D44 rear and the D30 front will get you by with your 33".
For hard wheeling and 35" tires, you will want to change your gearing to 4.88. That will put your drive train close to stock RPM on the highway and the computer will not fight you as much. You will also find that it performs better off road.
Staying with your 33" tires, I would change the gearing to 4.56 for the same reasons.
As for lockers, ARBs are my first choice. They are strong and reliable if you plumb the airlines properly.
Good luck with your modifications.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts