Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just over the last few days, it became difficult turning my key to start up and it has to be turned all the way to start. I have also noticed that my steering wheel doesn't lock anymore either. I got under the dash and watched my starter switch while turning the key and it doesn't move. Key barrel?

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
Just over the last few days, it became difficult turning my key to start up and it has to be turned all the way to start. I have also noticed that my steering wheel doesn't lock anymore either. I got under the dash and watched my starter switch while turning the key and it doesn't move. Key barrel?
It's not uncommon. You need a new ignition switch.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Yup. Really easy to swap out. I've done it in the parking lot on both a Full size Bronco and a F-150, early 90s model on each. Took just a few minutes.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ugh! Mines a little bit of a pain where it is, I did it about a year or so ago, That sort of ticks me off since its kinda new. Oh well, its really bad, I'll get after it today.:banghead:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got it figured out, took 8 hours start to finish, the post that locks the steering wheel was stuck down inside it's little hole. The freezing weather here caused stuff to keep it stuck in, I sprayed a little lithium grease down it and soon it popped out, I cleaned what I could, noted the key turned normally now. I know I'll have to get in and use something better before long. Cost me a day of work to find out because it was finally too hard to turn enough to start up.

What lube would be better in freezing weather? The lithium can says it won't freeze and so far its good.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
They make a lock lube that is graphite suspended in kerosene for penetration

1 - 6 of 6 Posts