Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks

JKU 2013 Auto, with 3inch lift. Have been running with all stock control arms for 4 years now. But recently discovered that the driver side front LCA bushing (frame side) was shot, causing the driver side of the front axle to shift forward by 1.5 cm towards the front of the vehicle, thereby causing the Jeep to pull to the right.

So, I am in a dilemma, about what to do. Please help me decide which of the below is best course of action.

Option 1) Just replace the bad bushing.
But is it a good idea to replace only one bushing on one LCA?
Should i change all other LCA bushings too? The other 3 bushings looks fine to me though , visually.
If yes, should i go with rubber bushings or Polyurethane bushings? Ride comfort is important to me.

Option 2) Replace the driver side control arm.
Again, should i do both sides LCAs or only one is fine?

My caster angle looks fine right now. My plan is that after replacing the bushing or CA, I will drive to see if it drives straight and tight. If not, in future i can just add adjustable UCAs and re-adjust the caster. Is this a sound idea?

Any other options? Note that i don't have budget to go for adjustable LCAs now.

Regards
Simon

·
Premium Member
1,337 Posts
Hi folks

JKU 2013 Auto, with 3inch lift. Have been running with all stock control arms for 4 years now. But recently discovered that the driver side front LCA bushing (frame side) was shot, causing the driver side of the front axle to shift forward by 1.5 cm towards the front of the vehicle, thereby causing the Jeep to pull to the right.

So, I am in a dilemma, about what to do. Please help me decide which of the below is best course of action.

Option 1) Just replace the bad bushing.
But is it a good idea to replace only one bushing on one LCA?
Should i change all other LCA bushings too? The other 3 bushings looks fine to me though , visually.
If yes, should i go with rubber bushings or Polyurethane bushings? Ride comfort is important to me.

Option 2) Replace the driver side control arm.
Again, should i do both sides LCAs or only one is fine?

My caster angle looks fine right now. My plan is that after replacing the bushing or CA, I will drive to see if it drives straight and tight. If not, in future i can just add adjustable UCAs and re-adjust the caster. Is this a sound idea?

Any other options? Note that i don't have budget to go for adjustable LCAs now.

Regards
Simon
Anything suspension, steering or drive train related (with the exception for axle shafts) should be replace on both sides. Bushings, Shocks, bearing and the like should be replaced on both the driver and passenger sides at the same time.

·
Commercial Member
7,959 Posts
I'll bet if you call a local 4x4 shop, they probably have a box of brand new control arms that have been removed from Jeeps getting lifts.
Definitely do them in pairs at minimum, or all 4 front at the same time if possible. All the bushings have the same wear and tear and mileage.

·
Super Moderator
16,473 Posts
I'll bet if you call a local 4x4 shop, they probably have a box of brand new control arms that have been removed from Jeeps getting lifts.
Definitely do them in pairs at minimum, or all 4 front at the same time if possible. All the bushings have the same wear and tear and mileage.
This right here... Brand new stock front lower control arms are a dime a dozen. Replace both.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts