Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got back from the shop and my 98TJ is hurting... I still use it as a DD and it runs great but the mechanic says everything is leaking and I need new u-joints and will cost several thousand dollars (more than $3500) to fix and he recommended not fixing it!!

Should I drive it into the ground or try to trade it in at a dealer (I wouldn't feel right selling it to someone who was gonna drive it) OR is there a market for used jeeps for the parts - I've put in new brake lines, starter, exhaust, tires/rims, sound system and more over the last two years.

I'd like to get something for it but I don't know where to start? Should I list it on craigslist - will someone buy it with a bunch of stuff wrong?

·
Registered
8,952 Posts
what exactly does "everything is leaking" mean?

what u-joints need replaced? front shafts? front u-joints are easy to install if you have some basic tools. driveshafts? brand new driveshaft's are about $300 each and take 5 minutes to install....you can have yours rebuild for less.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll get the list and post it here tomorrow but he said axle grease was leaking onto the rear brakes and those seals needed to be replaced, cooler lines to the radiator, the radiator is rusted and close to going, when the jeep was lifted the person never replaced any of the original parts and that is what is causing the wear on the ujoints, axles, and gearbox - the headgasket is leaking... he basically said that as he went through it there was a lot of stuff that would need to be replaced soon and it probably wasn't worth the money to fix it. He said there was a lot of rust

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
If you want it, I would get another opinion. They are probably trying to over charge you. I would take care of the needed/important repairs and keep driving it if you didn't have intentions of replacing it.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
The only time an older TJ,YJ or CJ doesn't leak is when their fluids are empty. Park it over a piece of cardboard and keep truckin'!

If you want to get rid of it however, there is always a market for used TJ's and you'd be surprised what it might be worth.

·
Registered
470 Posts
If it bothers you, donate it to a charity organization. You can write off the fair market value on it and get a new one.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
If you're not mechanically inclined then it does sound like you need to start looking at finding a new home for the Jeep. A DIY person could fix most of this issues for under 1000 depending on how the head gasket is leaking.

Hell, I saw one on my local CL for $4000 with a blown engine. LOL.

·
Registered
2017 JKU Sport
39 Posts
Around here there is always someone looking for a jeep like this for a project vehicle. you would probably be surprised at what you can still get fo it the way it is if you decide to sell it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Countryboy3006 - this may sound like a stupid question but can I seen it here? I didn't think you were supposed to sell stuff on this forum

·
Read Only
365 Posts
First..Jeeps DON'T leak.. they mark their territory..lol Second.. As mentioned get another opinion..Just like a Dr.. you never let the first guy slice & dice..
Try to address the more critical areas first.. fluids can always be monitored & added .. U joints../drive shafts might be more of a first concern..

PS.. The is a forum from the main page called FOR SALE..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts