Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys, i have 12 JKU, i just checked my coolant and saw it was at the minimum level. For diluting should i do like 60/40 coolant to water for winter? Or should i just do 50/50.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
Fork over the few dollars more and buy the premixed? That's my solution.

If you're set on diluting some, do 50/50 with distilled water only.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fork over the few dollars more and buy the premixed? That's my solution.

If you're set on diluting some, do 50/50 with distilled water only.
I didnt have the option, all the jeep dealers by me only sell it concentrated and i didnt want to wait for it to be shipped because i was at the minimum and im going on a 12 hr road trip.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Just top it off with a little distilled water and call it a day. It won't effect the overall %s much at all. The cooling systems holds 10.5 quarts (21 pints). Topping it off from min to max level isn't that much. If you want to add coolant, owner's manual says to use 50/50 mix.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Just straight coolant is ok also you are not going to effect your freeze protection to the wrong side of what your trying to achieve which is better cooling system freeze protection. I have worked in dealerships and small garages for almost 30 years and we never use distilled water to mix engine coolant which comes unmixed by the jug, we use plain tap water, 50/50 usually good for -35 to -40 degrees Fahrenheit. Distilled water is what we used to top up wet cell car batteries with back 15-20 years ago. Also if your level is down from full to add in your recovery/overflow container you probably have a small coolant leak some where. It is not normal for cooling systems to need top ups, unless you have had work done on the engine or cooling system and they did not fill it properly or it had air still in the system and now it has purged the air pockets and the level has dropped some. Top it up and monitor the level for a few days or week, if it goes down again you need to have it checked out.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
Even if im at the minimum level? I just want to make sure its correct!:beerdrinking:
The min. level is for a cold engine. If you add distilled water, 50/50 or straight HOAT that's fine. I prefer to top off using coolant. You're only adding a few ounces to the system. A factory fill is approx. 2-3" above the min. line on a cold engine unless the dealer added more prior to delivery. You should hardly ever have to top it off. If it seems like the level is going down you're probably loosing coolant. I've used straight HOAT to top off only once prior to flushing the system after 5 yrs. and it was only a couple of ounces. I then used pre-mixed Mopar 50/50 HOAT after the flush and I keep the level in the bottle like the factory fill.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
What's the deal on OAT vs HOAT? My user guide says to use OAT and to never mix with HOAT, or the most dire consequences will occur. Mine is a 2015, so it has the same 3.6 as the 2012.

·
Premium Member
6,905 Posts
What's the deal on OAT vs HOAT? My user guide says to use OAT and to never mix with HOAT, or the most dire consequences will occur. Mine is a 2015, so it has the same 3.6 as the 2012.
Same engine but not the same coolant. HOAT is 5-yr, OAT is 10-yr. If you mix the two it will clog up your system. For your 2015 use only purple OAT.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
2013 and above use OAT. Do not/never put HOAT in your 2015.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Chrysler switched from HOAT to OAT sometime during 2013...ish. The changeover has caused all kinds of havoc because the colors of the two coolants can become indistinguishable. As RoadiJeff mentioned, 10-yr OAT SHOULD be purple; however, if you look at the graphic from this thread:

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f202/heater-core-no-drivers-heat-and-casting-sand-388066-9.html#post12886826

You can see how things can get confusing. There are several threads on this forum that go into detail about this issue. I'd start reading them.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/is-this-hoat-or-oat-1050513.html

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f202/heater-core-no-drivers-heat-and-casting-sand-388066.html

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f202/2013-discolored-coolant-610658.html

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
2013 and above use OAT. Do not/never put HOAT in your 2015.
I'm pretty good about following the maintenance scedule and requirements, so I would never have put HOAT in mine. Is OAT available on the open market, or are you stuck with getting it at the dealer?

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
I'm pretty good about following the maintenance scedule and requirements, so I would never have put HOAT in mine. Is OAT available on the open market, or are you stuck with getting it at the dealer?
There are aftermarket brands out there that are OAT, a google search will work. My opinion is to stick with Mopar 50/50 OAT.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts