Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My stepdad recently rebuilt a 1987 YJ that I purchased about 2 months ago. He warned me that the headlights aren't very strong, and he was right. He changed the grill and headlights to round headlights, so I'm pretty certain the lights themselves are new. He recommended installing fog lights to help fix the issue. However, the interior dash lights are also really dim... almost not visible even at night. This makes me think that even if I installed fog lights, they may be dim too. It seems the whole lighting system may have a power issue. Has anyone else experienced this or know how to fix it?

·
Registered
3,148 Posts

·
Registered
934 Posts
Clean the headlight grounds located on either side of the grille, Clean the ground for the dash located on the drivers side kick panel. Clean battery terminals and the main ground located on the passenger side engine.
That may clear up the issues and then some.

·
Super Moderator
15,061 Posts
You may be dealing with two different issues.. For the dash lights, wait until it's dark out and turn the knurled wheel next to the headlight switch. Let us know what happens.
For the headlights, look into Hella or Cibie E-code H-4 headlights and an aftermarket headlight harness. With the harness, you bypass the already weak headlight switch and send the 14.2 volt alternator current directly to the headlights.

If you've experienced your headlights suddenly go out at night, the headlight harness will probably cure the problem. If it doesn't cure the problem, post again for further suggestions.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I agree the dash lights are probably,almost definitely, a separate issue. Actually a non issue. The YJ dash lights are always very dim. A fix,and a great upgrade,is to install LED replacement bulbs. It’s a relatively easy job and a big improvement over stock. Try to get the bulbs that will dim as some do not. And they come in colors!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.