Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my first Jeep 48 hrs ago. Previous owner said fluids were changed. Oil looks relatively new. BUT, dipstick shows 2 quarts low to me.

Don't want to drive itor out more oil in it til I find out the dipstick is the correct one (handle looks too new to be a 1993, and it's a bit of a struggle to put it in and take it back out.

I know I could just change the oil and put 4 quarts in, just not wanting to spend $20 on oil to find out, if someone would be kind enough to measure their 2.5 dipstick for me please:
-total length from edge of handle "cup" to end
-length from edge of handle "cup" to full mark
-length from edge of handle cup to add or low mark
-length of "cup"

One final question- are all 2.5 engine dipstick tubes the same length??

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
The problem with measuring dipstick tubes and dipsticks is no one knows exactly what they have or what you have. The only way to know exactly what you have is to drain the crankcase fill it to the recommended amount and look at the dipstick. That is why I never listen to previous owners and change ALL fluids regardless of what they say. $20.00 is cheaper than a new motor. Keep in mind the 2.5 was produced for many years and many vehicles including boats so unless you buy a dipstick tube and dipstick from the dealer for your jeep there is no way of telling and that will cost way more than $20.00

1 - 2 of 2 Posts