Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First tech post.. Have learned a lot here. Simple question. Did my first oil change a month ago at 2500 miles. Put in 5.5 quarts, always a little less then top it off. Looked ok so I left it. Checked oil a few days ago and I'm an 1/8 Orr more. Above the full hatch marks. Spec says 6 qts for 3.6 (3013) so I am leaving it, but it has bugged me since this never happened on any other vehicle I've owned. Has anyone seen this?

·
Super Moderator
7,761 Posts
Yes it happens, and for several reasons. It could be the dipstick, the dipstick tube, or how far you pushed it into the tube could have been off a bit, along with some other reasons. I wouldn't sweat it, just be sure you check the oil on level ground, let it sit overnight, and make sure you fully seat the dipstick each time you check the oil.

·
RETIRED MODERATOR
64,524 Posts
This topic is discussed quiet frequently.

Draining oil procedures, for the 3.6 engine:
Warm your engine oil up, by driving at least 15 minutes.
Next park on level ground.
Remove oil fill cap, and then your oil filter.
Next remove your oil pan drain plug, and let it drain, until it stops dripping.
Put the plug back in, and torque to 20 ft. lbs.
Install your new oil filter, with lube on the O'ring. Torque to 18 ft. lbs.
Install 6 qts of new oil.
Drive your wrangler for at least 15 minutes, to warm up the oil.
Back on level ground, turn it off. Wait 5 minutes like your owners manual recommends, and your oil level should be at the top of the hash marks.

Mine has always been there, when I follow this Chrysler/Jeep recommended procedure.........:thumb:

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
I agree with the old guy. I've been doing it wrong also at first, that is not warming it up and then WAITING 5 min. before checking your oil level. I was always a good bit above the hash marks if not done this way, I would guess that you are 1/2 qt. low with 5.5 qts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I may have checked it cold the other day. I will check it tomorrow when I get home. Thx

1 - 7 of 7 Posts