Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for any interesting dirt roads in and around Gwinnett county or NE Metro Atlanta. Not looking for illegal trails, just something to "dip my toes" in the dirt without traveling too far. Something simple where I can take my wife out for a nice country drive one afternoon without having to worry too much about winching myself out of a messy situation (although I am prepared to do that if needed).

I know the above request sounds noobish but I'm just trying to get my wife involved in Jeepin' without scaring the crap out of her. And, because we have kids, we can't take an entire weekend to head up to north GA and beyond.

Any suggestions you can provide are appreciated!

Joel

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
I bet if you go a little ways "north" on 85 and get off one some of those two bit exits you'll find some roads.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I always wondered about those power lines. Good to know no one has had issues there. I'll check them out. I'll also check out the GaTrailRiders group.

Thanks to both of you for the suggestions. DriveBy, I'll check into roads in the I-85 N area too.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Took the wifey on the power lines between Sugarloaf Pkwy and Suwannee this past Sunday. This was just enough to get my JK a little muddy and ensure my wife was comfortable with going off-road. We had a blast. Yes, yes, I know.... LAME! But it was fun and a good intro. Wifey even said she wants to do more next time so now I'm looking for someone to tag along with the next time you guys plan a day trip somewhere to N. GA or somewhere else fairly close.

Attachments

·
Registered
472 Posts
Join GAtrailriders.com we are going up to Clayton next weekend or aleast that is what i am reading.. There are trails up here by Ellijay or Chatsworth and Murray County..We go out to Cherokee county off of HWY20 by the lake always people out there playing and legal. Trails go down to the lake

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cool! I was joining GAtrailriders while you were entering your post. When are you guys going? Sat? If so, I might be able to attend but can't if it's Sunday. Is there a specific forum or group I need to monitor on the GAtrailriders website or will that come to me automatically just by signing up?

Thanks!
Joel

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Join GAtrailriders.com we are going up to Clayton next weekend or aleast that is what i am reading.. There are trails up here by Ellijay or Chatsworth and Murray County..We go out to Cherokee county off of HWY20 by the lake always people out there playing and legal. Trails go down to the lake
Hey dude.. I found a mountain road with some light wheeling and an awesome view at the top north west of Rome if you're interested let me know and I'll give you directions.

·
Administrator
30,785 Posts
Cool! I was joining GAtrailriders while you were entering your post. When are you guys going? Sat? If so, I might be able to attend but can't if it's Sunday. Is there a specific forum or group I need to monitor on the GAtrailriders website or will that come to me automatically just by signing up?

Thanks!
Joel
Once you join, go to the forum and check it out. All rides are listed there. It is pretty laid back. I am a member but haven't been able to hit a trail with them yet. I think they know when I will be busy with races and plan accordingly. jk:D

·
Registered
25 Posts
hey Joel.. I guess the power lines are ok.. Got the same pic at that same location.. seems to be the spot for us GWINNETIONS!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
www.northgajeepers.com

We are a family-oriented Jeep club who rides the North GA trails almost every weekend!

Come and check us out and we'll show you some nice wheelin' spots! All of our trails are as difficult as you want them to be! There are the challenging spots for the brave and there are mild spots for the smart and then there are bypasses if you're not in the mood for either!

Check out our forum and join us on a ride!

Here is our Vimeo page so you can see the kind of wheeling that we do!

P&G Productions's videos on Vimeo

·
Registered
212 Posts
Theres a trail on Lville Suwanne road by the rail road tracks, not sure of legality though :/ has some small pits, and really deep pits further down the trail. It's a bit narrow though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm fairly new to Gwinnett county. I'm familiar with L'ville/suwanee rd between hwy 120 and I-85 but don't know where the trail is along there. Can someone tell me how exactly where to go for the L'ville/Suwanee rd trail? I'm sure I could find the power lines near sugar hill but info on the best place to go in would be great as well! Thanks!

·
Registered
57 Posts
I should have my Sahara in mid-March and would love to join you guys on some "moderate" trails. I am new to off-roading and this will be my daily driver so I am not lifting it or hopefully not breaking anything. I am also in the Norcross area.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts