Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
I want to know more about the "powerlines" area. Wife does our grocery shopping there at the Wal-Mart between Sugarloaf & L'Ville Suwanee... it's around that area right? Where would I find an entrance? Is it legal?
Thanks guys!
The power lines are not legal and I am sure Gwinnett County PD and Ga Power Security will let you know when they catch you. It is private property owned by Ga Power.
I have seen jeeps towed away at owner expense by the Mall of GA power lines. I assume ticketed also.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Agreed, anything that says "No Trespassing" is off-limits and you could pay the price if you're caught there. I wouldn't do it. There are however many dirt roads and open or somewhat open (overgrown) trails you can find if you look closely. Some are gated and obviously off-limits; others aren't and are publicly accessible. When you have a Jeep, if you aren't afraid of some scratches, there are lots of old dirt trails you can find.

·
Jeeponator
1,413 Posts
Lack of No Trespassing signs or gates really doesn't mean anything. If you are not on a known public roadway you need to know who owns the property and have their permission to be on it. Power Lines and property behind "X" establishment are clearly not legal.

We have enough problems with reputation in the Off Road community. As a group we need to be responsible and stick to the legal stuff. No matter how harmless dodging down that wooded trail you find may seem, we must resist the urge.

I know some will continue doing what they do, but I at least needed to say it.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Lack of No Trespassing signs or gates really doesn't mean anything. If you are not on a known public roadway you need to know who owns the property and have their permission to be on it. Power Lines and property behind "X" establishment are clearly not legal. We have enough problems with reputation in the Off Road community. As a group we need to be responsible and stick to the legal stuff. No matter how harmless dodging down that wooded trail you find may seem, we must resist the urge. I know some will continue doing what they do, but I at least needed to say it.
To add to this I know of people who have taken "no trespassing" signs down so that if someone shows up they can say it wasn't marked. Just because it's not marked does not mean it's ok to explore. Yeah it sucks that many of us don't have places to ride close by but we should be responsible in order to protect what places we still have to ride on.

·
Premium Member
5,715 Posts
It's hard to imagine that an area like the Suwanee/SugarHill power lines, with two clear entrances and no other way in, and with the most obvious evidence in the world that people are wheeling on it all the time, wouldn't have at the very least a No Trespassing sign at those two entrances IF the owner cared to stop people from driving it. I'm not saying he legally HAS to have that, but for Pete's sake, there comes a time when Public Domain law comes into play. If people are obviously using the land as a pass-through for 7 years, and the owner has made no efforts to stop such use, even going so far as to post a simple sign at the entrances, then the owner can lose the right to block public passage in the future.

But I'm not here to argue law -- only the fact that Ga Power sure doesn't seem to care as far as I can tell.

But hey, stay away if you want to! The fewer people who enjoy the powerlines, the more pristine it will be for me. (Enjoyed an hour up there this afternoon.)

·
Registered
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe
145 Posts
Where is the entrance to the powerlines? I mean, IF I wanted to drive up there and check it out, not to do illegal wheeling....Just saying....

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 · (Edited)
Where is the entrance to the powerlines?
You can request access to a map I maintain called my My Off-Roading Sites on Google Maps. That has the locations in the area you are talking about. However, if they are now marked No Trespassing or there's some other reason why it may be illegal to enter, then don't go there. Also, if you do find a gate or something else to prevent you from entering, tell me and I'll update the map to that effect.

Thanks,
Joel

·
Jeeponator
1,413 Posts
OMG I had intended to be done posting in this thread. But seriously you think it takes a sign or gate to make it illegal?

It's amazing we have any place left to ride with that kind of thinking.

·
Registered
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe
145 Posts
So...I got the map. Thank you, Joel. But I have to ask this again, because I'm just not seeing it - entrance to the powerlines? Like street, cross street, that kind of thing.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Not really active but I do monitor for questions related to my post. I have added anyone who requested it but sometimes it takes a while for me to get to the email, especially on weekends. This past weekend I was responding to Search & Rescue callouts and didn't have much time to get to "regular" emails.

If you sent me an email recently, and I haven't gotten back to you by today, then it possibly got trapped in a spam filter. Please resend it.

Also, since Google changed their requirements, please make sure you send your request to join the map with an email address you use to access any Google service (Gmail, Google Maps, etc). They don't allow non-Google-related email accounts any more.

One other note regarding my map. I have made several changes and additions as people tell me about them and when I find locations to off-road that allow it legally. However, MANY of the old waypoints I have on the map are no longer any good because, well, time changes everything. I update it as I notice them but I'm sure there are several points that now seem totally ridiculous because there's a freaking mall where a forest used to be. For those locations... sorry. Please tell me when you run across them and I'll remove the waypoints. I appreciate any input.

Remember, if you wheel off-road, it is your responsibility to do so legally. Just because I put a marker on a map, doesn't give you the right to trespass or do stupid shit. ;^)

Thanks,
Joel

·
Registered
434 Posts
anyone been to the Suwanee/SugarHill power lines recently? still accessible??

·
Super Moderator
13,383 Posts
Welcome to the Forum Zach D,

Good Luck, L.M.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts