·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Found this on my internet searches:

might help you guys

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Thank you for this. This is a very easy method to disable ESS that doesn't seem to have any drawbacks. This will be the first thing I do if I ever get a JL.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Thanks for posting this video. When I watched it the other day I decided that I'd rather push the button than have the annoying dash lights. Unconnected connectors that aren't well protected have a tendency to get corroded or gunked up.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I also found information online that if you have the towing package and have something plugged in to the 7-pin connector, the computer thinks your are towing something and this is disabled. This would be the route I would take before disconnecting harnesses, sensors.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I also found information online that if you have the towing package and have something plugged in to the 7-pin connector, the computer thinks your are towing something and this is disabled. This would be the route I would take before disconnecting harnesses, sensors.
this would work then:

https://www.amazon.ca/MaxxHaul-70429-Trailer-Hitch-Cover/dp/B01CRE1IVG/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1521665423&sr=8-4&keywords=trailer+hitch+brake+light

I have that and i find it handy for all the low civics looking at their phones....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Does being in "tow mode" affect any other systems?

·
Super Moderator
7,702 Posts
Does being in "tow mode" affect any other systems?
Tow mode often doesn't allow the vehicle to go into OD, and in some cases changes the shift points of the transmission [higher rpms].

·
Registered
313 Posts

No, this does not disable the ESS on a JLU/JL.

·
Registered
482 Posts
It turns off with a button....easy peasy. No reason to modify anything.
If it stayed off when pressed instead of resetting every time you get in, I would be ok. I forgot to press it yesterday, was trying to pull out of a parking lot and didn’t noticed it had kicked in and shut off the motor. When I went to pull out into traffic, the lag for the starter to start the motor back up for me was unacceptable. I didn’t hammer down on the gas or anything, but that little bit of delay isn’t something I want to worry about or have to deal with.

In the end, yes I’m trying to retrain my habits to turn it off every time I get in, but I will be working on a more permanent solution that doesn’t require disconnecting anything or that could negatively impact any other systems.

·
Super Moderator
7,702 Posts
If it stayed off when pressed instead of resetting every time you get in, I would be ok. I forgot to press it yesterday, was trying to pull out of a parking lot and didn’t noticed it had kicked in and shut off the motor. When I went to pull out into traffic, the lag for the starter to start the motor back up for me was unacceptable. I didn’t hammer down on the gas or anything, but that little bit of delay isn’t something I want to worry about or have to deal with.

In the end, yes I’m trying to retrain my habits to turn it off every time I get in, but I will be working on a more permanent solution that doesn’t require disconnecting anything or that could negatively impact any other systems.
I agree. It is something I would want to disable until I pushed a button or unplugged a dongle to turn it back on, not having to turn it off every time I start the vehicle to drive. The extra 10 cents a week it might save in gas isn't worth it to me.

Reactions: Old Dogger

·
Registered
313 Posts
be
Are you sure about this? I saw it on the internet so it has to be true, non?
Yes, I'm 100% absolutely sure.

I also know the JL/JLU has 2, 12v batteries. The smaller of the two is related to the ESS. I know the location of the ESS battery and I know how to trickel charge it. I also know if you disconnect the main battery the ESS battery has the ability / and is able to start the vehicle.

·
Registered
16 Posts

Understood...

I guess it just hasnt been an issue for me or the wife. Its second nature...I hit the start button and then hit the button to turn the autostop off by habit.

I am shocked to hear its slow to start the engine...on our BMWs it starts faster than I can get my foot from the brake to the accelerator. Even so, call me old school but I still dont like it.

Anyway, best of luck on finding a permanent solution.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Understood...

I guess it just hasnt been an issue for me or the wife. Its second nature...I hit the start button and then hit the button to turn the autostop off by habit.

I am shocked to hear its slow to start the engine...on our BMWs it starts faster than I can get my foot from the brake to the accelerator. Even so, call me old school but I still dont like it.

Anyway, best of luck on finding a permanent solution.

I was surprised by the delay as well. It’s not THAT bad, but still noticeable for me. I’ve spent a lot of time over the past few years in the EU and grew quite accustomed to ESS, since it was in every single rental I got.

I’m still training myself to make it part of my routine, just in case a non-intrusive fix takes longer to come up with. So far, that one small thing hasn’t even come close to bothering me that much with the huge list of other things that I absolutely love about my JL.

·
Premium Member
2,826 Posts
I wonder when Flash Cal will have a programmer. I would assume it would be a feature included with the pro version. Will need one for bigger tires and or gears anyway.

Reactions: NullNomad

·
Premium Member
2,126 Posts
I was at Easter Jeep Safari this week. Dozens of JLs, both 2 and 4 doors. Most had the ESS disabled via a hack with a small module in the ODB port. The module also changed shift points, adjusted for tire size, etc The few folks I talked to said it was readily available on the interweb but did not seem to come from one of our main vendors. On a side note, the JLs were tearing up the trails like no ones business, tackling the hard stuff and making it look easy. Most on 35s keeping up with the 37s & 40s. Very impressive.

·
Super Moderator
2,775 Posts
I keep forgetting to turn it off. Every first stop it would cut off... oops *pushes button*

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 39 Posts