Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I have an '11 wrangler without the connectivity option. I have tried the wheel dance method many times to disable the hill start assist. It does not work. Is there a different version of the wheel dance for this year? I have tried the one I have found on this forum. I hate this feature for on road use. Can someone help. Thanks

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
I don't know about earlier models, but I can turn mine off on my '12 via the EVIC (I leave mine on though, cuz it's useful if you learn how to use it correctly).

This is steering wheel dance that's in my manual, for models without the EVIC:

To turn off Hill Start Assist:
*Engine off, auto in P. Manual in N, clutch out, parking brake on, wheels straight.
*Start engine.
*Engine running, brake applied, clutch out, rotate steering wheel 180º counterclockwise from center (and leave it there).
*Press ESC OFF switch 4 times within 20 seconds.
*Rotate steering wheel 360º clockwise.
*Turn ignition switch OFF, then ON.
*If done properly, the “ESC Activation/Malfunction light” will blink several times to show that HSA is off.
*Steps above must be completed within 90 seconds to turn off HSA. To turn back on, repeat steps 1-7.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I just tried it on my 2013 Sport, without the connectivity package, and it worked. The only note I would make is that on a manual you obviously need to push the clutch in (or start in 4L) before you can start the engine, so the first line wouldn't be "clutch out" then "start engine."

·
Registered
1 Posts
Works on 2013 with manual trans. Only thing is I had to toggle ESC on and off 4 times instead of just pushing button 4 times.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Well - EVIC is useful for something! I turned mine off - it's not that it wasn't useful in some situations - I was just tired of it.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Am I retarded? My 2012 doesn't have said ESC OFF button.. I have step, reset, on/off, cancel, res+, set- ...no such ESC OFF.. I'm ready to disable HSA.. And I can't figure it out.. Great lol

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Am I retarded? My 2012 doesn't have said ESC OFF button.. I have step, reset, on/off, cancel, res+, set- ...no such ESC OFF.. I'm ready to disable HSA.. And I can't figure it out.. Great lol
Your ESC off button should be on the center bank of switches under the A/C and heat controls.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Ok. Done. I just excepted HSA for what is was and adjusted driving accordingly. ..for 23k miles... I'm finally done with that. And it feels great! Should have been the first thing I ever did :)

·
Registered
873 Posts
I'd like HSA more if they'd done it properly. Lots of cool tech in the Jeep - it's just several generations behind at this point. Not to pick nits, but two other glaring examples of good stuff, but not quite right:

- the clock that loses time; Casio et al nailed this decades ago...not sure what's so hard

- the fuel economy read out that is never right; again, not that hard to get right

We come to HSA - I've driven HSA on a few vehicles now and they all managed to figure out how to make an HSA independently engage and disengage transparently to the driver without having the modulate how hard you step on the brake pedal when coming to a stop and then trying to drive with the brakes on when you need to move out because HSA takes so long to disengage. Frankly, I turned it off because I was tired of thinking about what it could have been every time I used it. Maybe, at some point, I'll get over it and turn it back on.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for the info on how to turn of the damn thing! Have been driving standards all my life, and never have I stalled a vehicle in 40 years as much as I have in the past week with my JK. Turned it off, and now my world has meaning again. Love the Jeep.

Cheers.

·
Banned
477 Posts
Because some people know how to drive manual properly and don't need training wheels. I HATED hill assist. It was cumbersome and actually made taking off more difficult. So much better with it off...
Ugh, an improvement? So stupid! How in the F*CK does it make taking off more difficult? I've been driving standard since I learned to drive and the only reason to "hate" the assist is to see it as a reason to puff your chest out.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Ugh, an improvement? So stupid! How in the F*CK does it make taking off more difficult? I've been driving standard since I learned to drive and the only reason to "hate" the assist is to see it as a reason to puff your chest out.
Having 35s on a 20x12 only amplified the negative effects of hill assist. First , it's grabby and holds wayyy too long. I literally had to time lights right in order to not get rear ended by crazy nj drivers.
Second it's just way too invasive. I drove cars with hill assist before, i loved the feature on them , but in the jeep, not so much. it just felt so inconsistent, vague and unrefined. I don't know how else to explain it, all I know is its so much better taking off now with out it.

·
Banned
477 Posts
Having 35s on a 20x12 only amplified the negative effects of hill assist. First , it's grabby and holds wayyy too long. I literally had to time lights right in order to not get rear ended by crazy nj drivers.
Second it's just way too invasive. I drove cars with hill assist before, i loved the feature on them , but in the jeep, not so much. it just felt so inconsistent, vague and unrefined. I don't know how else to explain it, all I know is its so much better taking off now with out it.
Oh... well... that was a very reasonable and well thought out/well explained post. I may be coming back to this thread when I put the bigger tires on my Jeep.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Curious if anyone could compare this to hill start in a subie? I have an auto JKU so I don't fully understand how it operates in the jeep. On my '15 Subaru Forester, which is a 6spd manual, the hill start is awesome. It holds just long enough to get started, in fact if you hold the clutch in too long without the brake, it disengages and you start rolling backwards. Im thinking it only holds 2-3 seconds once you let your foot off the brake and releases immediately when you start moving forward. How does the Jeep compare??

·
Registered
699 Posts
My first 2012 had the same issue. You could not shut the Hill Assist off and to make matters worse, it would hold too long and be followed by a loud bang when it released. Dealer had the car for 45 days trying to figure the problem out. Finally they gave me my $$ back and I bought another JK. I later inquired about it, and they told me a connection plug somewhere in the console area was not properly attached.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts