Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of January's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back in 2018-2019, I realized that my 2012 Jeep Wrangler began to tick loudly on the driver's side when I would turn on the motor. After lots of digging for answers and documents, I pushed for a fix. Jeep customer care finally agreed to resolve the issue after I presented to them the file that stated that there was a recall on a faulty part in my engine (and thousands of others). Even though I expressed to them that I knew this was not a permanent fix because the whole engine is faulty, I settled. Now, a few years after getting this repair covered, I am having the same exact issue on the passenger side. As you can see in the email thread below, they have refused to cover this repair even though this is clearly a manufacturing defect, as they said in the recall. Along with the repair to replace the faulty cylinder rocker head, my mechanic brought to my attention that there were other issues as well (see emails). Due to this, not only is there an annoyingly loud noise coming from my engine but there is also tremendous wear and tear to several other parts.

As stated in the emails, I am let down that a company that prides itself in strong, well-built American cars cannot repair something for me that is clearly not my fault. I am a student that unfortunately does not have the money to cover a repair like this and quite frankly Jeep gives me no other choice but to sell my car. I shouldn't have to worry constantly that I am going to get left on the side of the road for a problem that shouldn't be happening to my car in the first place. I take extremely good care of my car because I want it to last me at least enough to pay it off. Like I said in the title, disappointed but honestly, not surprised.

(I'm not here for your pity, I wanted to rant, see if anyone had useful advice, and see if anyone has had a similar experience)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry man... I can't agree.
The jeep is a 2012... almost 10 years old. If the ticking just started happening now, then you can't possibly call that a "defect".
I mean honestly, I guess I just expected better. Jeep themselves said it was a defect and extended the warranty for the issue considering how detrimental the problem was to the motor. I have understood that this isn't a "regular" issue that comes with the aging of the car.

·
Registered
784 Posts
They fixed your Jeep once “good will” out of warranty. It’s 10 years old with over 100K miles on the clock, seems like a stretch to expect Jeep to repair the engine again. That said, we’d all like our motors to last 200K + miles and most do. Sucks you’ve got one with an early failure.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They fixed your Jeep once “good will” out of warranty. It’s 10 years old with over 100K miles on the clock, seems like a stretch to expect Jeep to repair the engine again. That said, we’d all like our motors to last 200K + miles and most do. Sucks you’ve got one with an early failure.
I would have said it was out of "good will" if they fixed it outside of the warranty period but that was not the case. As I mentioned in the emails, they had extended the warranty because they saw that clearly, it was detrimental to the motor and its performance. I wouldn't have any problem fixing the engine with my own money if it was an issue in regard to regular wear and tear. As Jeep themselves have said, it is not, hence the recall and extension.

·
Registered
784 Posts
The warranty extension was goodwill. They were under no obligation to fix your motor out of the initial manufacturers warranty period. Have you talked to the original dealer who sold you the Jeep new?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The warranty extension was goodwill. They were under no obligation to fix your motor out of the initial manufacturers warranty period. Have you talked to the original dealer who sold you the Jeep new?
I mean wouldn't it be their responsibility to fix it if quite literally they manufactured and sold a motor that was faulty? I've talked to owners that have had this ticking issue coming right out of the dealership. It is a defect that is happening to tons of Jeep owners. I bought the car used so I can only really contact Jeep.

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
I mean honestly, I guess I just expected better. Jeep themselves said it was a defect and extended the warranty for the issue considering how detrimental the problem was to the motor. I have understood that this isn't a "regular" issue that comes with the aging of the car.
Well... it wasn't really a "recall". With a "recall" they send a letter to you and tell you to get your jeep into the nearest shop asap. Instead, they more or less UNOFFICIALLY extended the warranty on SOME problematic vehicles as they were brought in with issues.

It should be noted that this is not a recall but rather, owners of Pentastar powered Chrysler Group vehicles who are experiencing these issues can visit their local dealership where the cylinder heads will be replaced under warranty.
After receiving hundreds of complaints about ticking, stalling, power loss and misfire conditions (thus check engine lights) in select vehicles powered by the popular 3.6L Pentastar V6, the Chrysler Group has begun replacing the cylinder heads on some problematic vehicles – with as many as 7,500 vehicle affected in the US.

Your head lasted more than 9 years (or at least it went unreported for 9+ years). While it perhaps should have lasted longer, sorry... but that's not "defective"

·
Registered
784 Posts
I mean wouldn't it be their responsibility to fix it if quite literally they manufactured and sold a motor that was faulty? I've talked to owners that have had this ticking issue coming right out of the dealership. It is a defect that is happening to tons of Jeep owners. I bought the car used so I can only really contact Jeep.
If Jeep willingly footed the bill to fix a vehicle you purchased used the first time, you ought to be thanking them. The only warranty you were entitled to was the one that came with your used car purchase, which in my state is 30 days / 1000 miles if a car is out of the manufacturer’s warranty. You could have purchased an extended service contract when you purchased your Jeep used and you’d only be on the hook for the deductible. I’m not saying I don’t feel for you, it blows, but Jeep has no obligation to fix the vehicle IMO. They initially sold the vehicle with a power train warranty that expired 5 years ago, what you’re expecting is unrealistic.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
[
Well... it wasn't really a "recall". With a "
Your head lasted more than 9 years (or at least it went unreported for 9+ years). While it perhaps should have lasted longer, sorry... but that's not "defective"
7,500 cars sounds like a good enough reason to claim that the parts were defective.

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
7,500 cars sounds like a good enough reason to claim that the parts were defective.
You're certainly welcome to try, but after 9+ years of that jeep being on the road with no complaints to this specific issue, I doubt they would budge.... and I also doubt a judge in a small claims court would listen to you either.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You're certainly welcome to try, but after 9+ years of that jeep being on the road with no complaints to this specific issue, I doubt they would budge.... and I also doubt a judge in a small claims court would listen to you either.
i’m going to be honest with you, I have no plans of taking us to court. It just sucks that a corporation being as big as jeep isnt willing to fix a problem like this for someone who’s a proud owner of a car that they love. It’s a shame because I really don’t wanna sell my car but I honestly have no choice. I either sell it or it breaks and I’m left with nothing.

·
Registered
720 Posts
The extended warranty was for the potential warping of the left head, not for the roller bearings. While many have had issues with the roller bearings failing earlier than one would expect, Jeep has never extended a warranty for them. We would all love to have vehicles last forever, but metal on metal wears, you can't change physics. The oils keep getting better every year and help to lower the wear that friction causes, but it will always be there. I and the others here are sorry to hear that you have had this issue, but no major manufacturer offers a warranty that lasts as long as you are wanting. Kia and Hyundai are close with their 10yr/100k mi, and if value and warranty are more important to you, then perhaps they would be a better vehicle fit for you. The world is full of trade-offs and it is up to you what you are willing to trade for what. Most of us here have chosen the modability/excitement that a Wrangler offers us over over longevity. At least in today's world, we just can't get both.

·
Super Moderator
23,791 Posts
dang I do not own anything that was made in 2012 that I would expect the manufacturer to fix. You have had your jeep 9 years or possibly 10 years. If I were Jeep I would have responded the same way. How many other jeeps have you purchased since you bought this one?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
dang I do not own anything that was made in 2012 that I would expect the manufacturer to fix. You have had your jeep 9 years or possibly 10 years. If I were Jeep I would have responded the same way. How many other jeeps have you purchased since you bought this one?
Just sad, my computer is older than my car, and it's more reliable lol. I bought my jeep in 2017. I have purchased none because I don't have the funds to do so.

·
Super Moderator
23,791 Posts
again you are well past any warranty. Where do you think they should draw the line? Why have warranty limitations if they should just fix for the life of the vehicle. Not like you were a month or a 100 miles over the warranty period. I doubt if your computer goes on the blink Dell or whoever is going to fix it for you.

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
Just sad, my computer is older than my car, and it's more reliable lol. I bought my jeep in 2017. I have purchased none because I don't have the funds to do so.
Well, it may not be as bad as it sounds. Just because there is a ticking doesn't necessarily mean the hole head and cam needs to be replaced. If you're not getting misfire codes then, it could be as little as a rocker and lifter if you get it soon enough. That's about $20 in parts, plus about 20 bucks for new gaskets. Find a backyard mechanic who will do the labor end of it for a couple hundred and a case of beer.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
again you are well past any warranty. Where do you think they should draw the line? Why have warranty limitations if they should just fix for the life of the vehicle. Not like you were a month or a 100 miles over the warranty period. I doubt if your computer goes on the blink Dell or whoever is going to fix it for you.
Just messing around. If I'm not mistaken the extended warranty for that specific part was for 150,000 miles.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, it may not be as bad as it sounds. Just because there is a ticking doesn't necessarily mean the hole head and cam needs to be replaced. If you're not getting misfire codes then, it could be as little as a rocker and lifter if you get it soon enough. That's about $20 in parts, plus about 20 bucks for new gaskets. Find a backyard mechanic who will do the labor end of it for a couple hundred and a case of beer.
I wish. My check engine light has been on for quite some time. Something about temperate... don't remember the specific code.

·
Registered
720 Posts
It was extended to 10yr/150k mi, yes, but that is for the left head only and for warping, not ticking. You should find out what the codes are for. A temp fault would be separate form a misfire fault which is what you will get once the ticking gets really bad. Like Bob said, if you can catch it before it gets to that point, the parts are cheap.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts