Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive read several threads where owners of shiny new 2012 Wranglers (like mine :) ) are experiencing real world mileage far lower than anticipated.

I'm averaging about 20.1 so far. Ive had it a little over 3 weeks and have 2600miles...mostly highway. So I've wondered why others are reporting mileage of 15 or 16 mpg. I posted a thread on how proper RPM management will take care of the MPG by itself.

But I couldnt shake the belief that there cant possibly be that many people out there driving poorly, as if the accellerator were an on-off switch instead of being variable...manageable.

Then tonight, on my way home, I noticed that my average MPG indication was 16.2. What's up with that??? I glaned at my RPM...2500 @ 60MPH. That aint right. Hmm...

When I ride, I usually rest my right hand on the gear selector (automatic). Apparently it is VERY easy to accidentally shift OUT of overdrive. Actually...Its pretty darn easy to shift down to 3rd...and not notice it.

Once I shifted back to Overdrive....19.8mpg for the last 10 minutes of my drive.

Soooo.... Just a thought... If you are experiencing unusally low gas mileage pay extra attention to your RPMs...The gear you are in....and how vigorously you groove to whatever tunes you might be rock'n too.

(dont use the gear shift as a drum)

Just one of many possibilites, just in case someone else has the same dumba$$ blunder as I.

·
I AM THERE4 I JEEP
12,295 Posts
But I couldnt shake the belief that there cant possibly be that many people out there driving poorly,
Many jeepers try to get in before last call is all...:thumb:

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Doubtful those would give a hoot about their MPG lol

·
I AM THERE4 I JEEP
12,295 Posts
I drive a 6-speed manual and I don't drive too crazy. I get any from 17 - 17.7, sometimes up too 18mpg. Is this bad?
Yes.

Get some bigger tires and a lift on there pronto to remedy the problem.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
well, i have an automatic 2011 and get 18.5-21 mpg...so......
I wish I got that in my 2012. But I figured those numbers on the sticker where a lie from the beginning. I traded in my Rubicon a few years back for a MINI S. 33/29 MPG on the sticker. Like hell, I would be lucky to get 27 mixed driving. And I had to use premium gas AND get that gas from what BMW calls "top tier" stations in order to keep your fuel pump warranty. You know how much more that was to fill up? $.20-.30 more per gallon over using 87 octane at Wawa or SAM's Club. Now it might not bring it to an even playing field, but it sure sure was enough to justify buying my 2012 Sahara......

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
I didnt buy a heep for mpg. My last rig was a v-8 pathfinder, so my mpg is significantly better no matter how I drive.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
My 12 JKR auto gets averages 16.8. 4.10 gearing, heavier tires, heavier foot. Yup...adds up.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I got 33 duratracs and atx artilleries, no lift (yep i dont wanna lift), and a manual trans. right now the average mpg (on computer, i personally have not done the math) reads 17.1...

·
Registered
3 Posts
500 miles into my new 2012 unlimited and I am at 19 mpg but that's still a lot better than the Chevy Tahoe I traded in for it, which only got around 16 mpg...so I am happy : ) I would love to hit 20 mpg though...maybe after I break it in some more? It's an automatic sport unlimited, all stock.

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
In addition to driving style, adding a lift, larger and heavier tires, skids, sports cage, front and rear steel bumpers, winch, etc... all impact mpg. Even a 2dr vs 4dr with 3.21 gears or 4.10 gears need to be taken into acount. There are a lot of variables that impact mpg.

In stock form, the window sticker said that my JKU Rubicon auto with 4.10 gears should get 16 city/19 hwy. After adding all of the above mentioned accessories, I've lost about 2 mpg. In a mix of 50/50 city/hwy driving at 70 mph on the hwy and a heavy foot from a stop, I average 14.5-15.5 mpg per tank. When I'm driving 65 mph on the hwy and drive a little more conservative from a stop, I get close to 17 mpg per tank.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Oh boy, another MPG thread...

:popcorn:

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
I wish I got that in my 2012. But I figured those numbers on the sticker where a lie from the beginning. I traded in my Rubicon a few years back for a MINI S. 33/29 MPG on the sticker. Like hell, I would be lucky to get 27 mixed driving. And I had to use premium gas AND get that gas from what BMW calls "top tier" stations in order to keep your fuel pump warranty. You know how much more that was to fill up? $.20-.30 more per gallon over using 87 octane at Wawa or SAM's Club. Now it might not bring it to an even playing field, but it sure sure was enough to justify buying my 2012 Sahara......
What? How are they going to trace that? How are they going to know where you got your gas from, are you supposed to keep all of your gas receipts?

I was about 18-21ish on my stock tires (SRAs), 3.73 and auto tranny over the first 2200 miles of my Jeep's life. I just put on some 33x15 DTs and after one full tank of driving all back roads to and from work it looks like Im down about 1mpg. No experience on the highway yet. I can live with that :thumb:

Also, this is with all winter gas. I expect to go up at least 1mpg on average when it switches back over to good gas this spring, AND once the engine really gets broken in it should help as well. Im not worried about my mileage at all

·
Registered
357 Posts
I have a stock 2door sport and I drive Baltimore city everyday about 30 miles round trip and since I bought my manual wrangler about 1300 miles ago I've always averaged about 15.0 miles per tank ... That's shifting between 2500-3300 depending what the situation I.e hills merging etc.

·
I AM THERE4 I JEEP
12,295 Posts
I have a stock 2door sport and I drive Baltimore city everyday about 30 miles round trip and since I bought my manual wrangler about 1300 miles ago I've always averaged about 15.0 miles per tank ... That's shifting between 2500-3300 depending what the situation I.e hills merging etc.
Do you drive with the pedal fully depressed to the floor the entire time?

1 - 20 of 75 Posts