Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure what they are making these keys with but I have been driving since 1981 and NEVER bent a key. WTH man - FCA - really?!?

Was in a rush to pick up my daughter from an ffter school event - new rules are you have to go inside and sign them out.

Park the 2 month old JKU - pull key out of ignition, and then the tip catches on the cylinder and BENDS the key - panic mode as it won't go back into ignition....luckily I saw someone form school maintenance and he let me use their vice to straighten it enough to get home. But now I don't trust it.

Off to stealer - $175 for a new key - what? are you kidding me?

Onto the interwebs. Found an exact OEM replacement with the FOB attachment and the immobilization chip for $12. Lowes was kind enough to cut it for me for FREE. Followed the instructions online on how to program it - flawless. $10 fix - in fact I ordered two just to have a 4th key just in case.

Uncut Remote Key FOB for Dodge Jeep Chrysler Keyless Entry 3B Kobdt04a http://r.ebay.com/9VlZ0F

You need 2 functioning keys that are programmed for the vehicle to program the third/fourth/fifth key and they MUST be able to turn the ignition into ACCESSORY - bend back if you have to.

But once again - WTH FCA - keys are not supposed to bend...

So now I have a 'spare' key hidden inside the jeep - behind an accessory panel that will allow me to drive away AND a key on the body that only opens the doors - just in case ;-)

:atomic::atomic::atomic::atomic::atomic:

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Sounds like a freak occurrence. Probably would have happened with any key.

Glad you got fixed up. Thanks for the link to purchase.
Maybe you could post a link to the programming instructions too?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have all keys for the Jeep ready – You must have two working programmed or original keys to use this procedure.

NOTE : Your new keys must be cut prior to performing this procedure.

Remote key FOB and immobilizer chip are programmed during the same programming procedure.

1. Insert first programmed key into the ignition and turn ignition switch to ON/Accessory. Wait for approximately 3 seconds then turn ignition to OFF and remove key.

2. Within 15 seconds of removing first key insert second programmed key into ignition and turn ignition switch to ON/Accessory. Wait approximately 10 seconds. You will see the immobilizer warning lamp illuminate on the dash and you will hear an audible tone. Turn ignition OFF and remove the key. (I did not hear the audible tone but the immobilizer light went on/off)

3. Within 50 seconds insert the new unprogrammed key into ignition. Turn ignition switch to ON. After approximately 10 seconds you should hear an audible tone and the immobilizer lamp will remain illuminated for 3 seconds. Once this occurs programming is completed. (This did not happen - audible tone- for me but it worked flawlessly)

4. For each additional key you must repeat these steps starting with step number 1.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
As a locksmith that has worked around autos and general locksmithing, a bent key is way better than a broken one. Had that key broken inside the lock under the cover it would have been an expensive proposition to get it repaired.

Slow down and take your time when operating machinery. BTW the keys are make of a brass chrome alloy that wears uniformly with the lock components. A drop of oil isn't going to hurt anything once every six months or even every other oil change.

·
Premium Member
16,888 Posts
As a locksmith that has worked around autos and general locksmithing, a bent key is way better than a broken one. Had that key broken inside the lock under the cover it would have been an expensive proposition to get it repaired.

Slow down and take your time when operating machinery. BTW the keys are make of a brass chrome alloy that wears uniformly with the lock components. A drop of oil isn't going to hurt anything once every six months or even every other oil change.
Good to know. Thank you. Glad things worked out for the Op.

Learned a long time ago, sometimes it's "Me" and not a flaw in the object......

Thank you to the Op for raising the issue of getting another key as well. Have my two originals so now would be a great time. BTW. My "Tip" is to stow (hide) your extra under your hood.
Now I have to find a decent price on a key with remote start.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Good to know. Thank you. Glad things worked out for the Op.

Learned a long time ago, sometimes it's "Me" and not a flaw in the object......

Thank you to the Op for raising the issue of getting another key as well. Have my two originals so now would be a great time. BTW. My "Tip" is to stow (hide) your extra under your hood.
Now I have to find a decent price on a key with remote start.
I've ordered from remotesremotes.com

The fobs aren't as tough as OEM, so it's easy to pop the battery cover off.

I have some fob guards ordered to hopefully hold them together a little better.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
137 Posts
I've bent mine before in the middle on a few occasions. They are easy to bend back by hand but I always worry about it breaking. Maybe I'll have to order an extra at that price.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Making a couple copies is a cheap expense when comparing the cost to getting keys replaced after you lose the last one. Even a "Cloned Key" can get someway expensive.

Keep the original key in a safe place at home for copying those duplicates from and usually you'll have a better working (mechanical) key.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Since I have the bare bones key, no lock/unlock or remote start buttons or anything do I still have a chip in the key? Or can I just go out and get a plain key made and it will work in the ignition?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Since I have the bare bones key, no lock/unlock or remote start buttons or anything do I still have a chip in the key?
Yes, your basic grey key has a chip. A generic blank from the hardware store will start the Jeep, but it will kill the engine in a matter of seconds when it probes for the chip and doesn't get a response.

Fortunately, basic keys are pretty cheap online.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Thanks for the info jurie. So my process would be to get another basic grey key and then follow the same pairing instructions as stated above?

Yes, your basic grey key has a chip. A generic blank from the hardware store will start the Jeep, but it will kill the engine in a matter of seconds when it probes for the chip and doesn't get a response.

Fortunately, basic keys are pretty cheap online.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts