Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We went to Angela's Revenge today and 15 minutes into my linkage broke, my shifter that shifts between 2WD, 4H, 4L was like a dead stick, can move it all over no resistance. Thank goodness a young guy there was knew what to do, he crawled under the Jeep put me in 4L and I made it up the monster hill, then when we got the pavement he put me in 2WD. Jeep runs perfect, gears everything great, just the linkage piece broke. It's a six speed manual if that matters at all

QUESTION:

Can you take the center console off and fix this yourself or is this a take it to the dealer issue, I'm not very mechanical but I cant imaging that where that gear connects is all complicated, or am i wrong?

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, How do you replace it, do you have to take the console off between the seats? It's a 2007 Rubicon

·
Registered
2,234 Posts

·
GO STEELERS !
2,165 Posts
You just reminded me to buy a spare. $3.99 on Amazon. You can find them cheaper but not while sitting on your couch drinking a beer like I am now.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep, I just watched that video, after that I went out and took only the one screw out and the grommet was indeed gone, you can fix it by merely taking out that one screw. Ordered the grommets (got six just in case it happens again or if we're on the trail and it happens to somebody else).

Once I get the grommet I'll have er' fixed in 5 minutes or less, awesome !! Thanks for your help

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Glad to hear you made it home. Wish I could have made this run with you all.

·
Premium Member
920 Posts
Yep, I just watched that video, after that I went out and took only the one screw out and the grommet was indeed gone, you can fix it by merely taking out that one screw. Ordered the grommets (got six just in case it happens again or if we're on the trail and it happens to somebody else).

Once I get the grommet I'll have er' fixed in 5 minutes or less, awesome !! Thanks for your help
At the end of the video there is a bracket with a threaded hole, is this the screw you pulled? After removing screw does the plastic pull back just enough to get a hand in and feel for the parts?

·
Registered
2,234 Posts

Glad to help.:thumb:

·
Registered
2,234 Posts

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
I got my Advanced Adapter Heavy Duty Shifter last month.. Now I never have to worry about that stock string linkage breaking and leaving me stranded.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts