Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have a 2000 wrangler with a disc brake conversion and I need to tighten my parking brake. It doesn't help hold the car still at all and I was wondering if anyone knew how to adjust this with a disc conversion.

·
Registered
15,638 Posts
Depends on the conversion

I have the warn one that uses eldorado calipers and calipers are used for park function others conversions have a small drum for park function only

Once we know what you have you can get advise on fixing park function

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
What Digger says + Is the handle going to the top without getting tight or does it stop & get tight in the normal position but just not hold the wheels from rolling? 2 different problems with 2 different solutions.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The brake holds no tension on the wheels what so ever, no matter what position the handle is in. I'll look at what calipers I have tonight. Thanks!

·
Registered
507 Posts
Are you sure it's a conversion? New guys seem to make the "that's what I was told/read on the internet" mistake from time to time.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll get some pictures up. I'm almost positive it is a disc conversion. I'll double check. I just bought the jeep and the guy didn't say they were, but that's what they look like.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I'll get some pictures up. I'm almost positive it is a disc conversion. I'll double check. I just bought the jeep and the guy didn't say they were, but that's what they look like.
Pull the rear rotor off. If you have drums underneath that's your e brake.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Also snap a pic of your rear dif to know if it IS stock. As d35 didn't ever have discs and the 8.8 is different from the 44.

·
Registered
15,638 Posts
That does not answer the question a wheel off pic of whole disc and caliper and one from inside showing caliper and where park brake cable connects to brake would be ideal

My warn conversion is on a D44 as are kits that include a drum park brake as are the factory rear disk on LJ D44 rear axle

·
Registered
507 Posts
Just DO NOT engage your park brake after you disconnect caliper just in case it is caliper actuated, lot of them can go tits up.

·
Registered
99 Posts
It looks like the rubber plug on the backing plate in post #14. An easy way to know is simply pop that elongated rubber plug off the backing plate and if there's an adjuster inside. Set the back axle on jack stands, put tcase in neutral, pull the brake handle up about 3 or 4 clicks and use a screwdriver to work the adjusters. Tighten until you can't spin the tire by hand, doing both sides. Release brake handle and make sure the tires spin freely. Done. Once you know the procedure it takes all of 20 minutes. This will be the case if you have the drum parking brake setup...

·
Registered
507 Posts
Don't waste your time, the e brake is drum in hat. Adjustment is the same as regular drum brakes.
It's never a waste of time to find the ins and outs on a rig you're just getting to know. Maybe his shoes are cooked. Maybe your rotors are boned from the inside due to neglect. Op didn't know his brakes, time for him to find out.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts