Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What aftermarket disc brakes would you guys recommend that aren't crazy expensive. gotta replace all four but probably do two at a time ( either front or rear).

2003 tj 4.0 dana 30 front, dana 44 rear, 4 wheel disc brakes

·
Registered
216 Posts
Well I used Black Magic pad/rotor kit due to poor braking with what was on my Rubi. The rotor/pads on there weren't bad looking at all. Swapped them out and was surprised how much better the pedal now feels.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I put on Power Stop slotted rotors and Hawk pads. Have been very happy. Also have braided stainless lines which help also.

2001 TJ, 35X12.50 on aluminum 15x10

·
Super Moderator
6,900 Posts
black magic for the front, oem for the rear. rears only see about 20% of the braking force, no need to spend a lot of money on them

slotted and drilled rotors are for high speed race applications, very little benefit in the jeep world

·
Knows a couple things...
49,417 Posts
Go with Black Magic pads/rotors from Blaine at Black Magic Brakes. He knows more about Wrangler braking systems than the next ten brake guys combined. It's the best braking pad out there, it's dramatically better than even the EBC Yellow pads which used to be the best braking pad. I've been running the BM brake pads for 8-9 years now on two different TJs and won't run anything else.

Not to mention Blaine is the developer of the Big Brake kit I did a writeup on at http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/i...rd-generation-vanco-big-brake-kit-818106.html

X2 that there are no benefits to be had on a TJ with gimmicky rotors that are cross-drilled, slotted, or dimpled. Leave those to the racers.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I just noticed a slight noise from my front brakes a few days ago. Apparently the driver side caliper is sticking because a few months ago both front brakes had plenty of pad left. Well, the passenger side still does, but the driver side is gone, rotor grooved.
On other vehicles I have had I would have been thinking, "Oh, crap, now I need a complete front brake job." But it's a Wrangler so I am thinking, "Oh good! Now I can put on the Black Magic brake pads, Centric rotors, and new calipers!" Love that about Jeeps!

:iamhappy:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts