Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

I have a hose that is hanging off my rear axle and I have no idea where or how it came off.

The Jeep runs fine. It is my daily driver and I just took on on a road trip across the state, so it's not causing any problems that I can tell, but it is concerning.

Looking at these pictures can any of you experts help me out?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
If it has been that way for a long time and/or you have driven through any big puddles, you may want to change the rear diff fluid. Just in case any water got in there.

Do a search for "breather" if you want to see about how it is usually routed behind the rear inner fender on the pass. side. Many extend them higher for less possibility of water intrusion. I think I made mine end right behind the taillight.

·
Registered
31 Posts
The higher that hose goes, the better. Back in my younger days without forums, I saw the same tube on a Mountaineer I had and not knowing what it was zip tied it to the axle. Needless to say it only took about 13" of water to ruin my differential fluid and cause quite the headache.

·
Registered
7 Posts
All,

I have a hose that is hanging off my rear axle and I have no idea where or how it came off.

The Jeep runs fine. It is my daily driver and I just took on on a road trip across the state, so it's not causing any problems that I can tell, but it is concerning.

Hi, i have the same problem and solve the problem extending tube relocate in right rear light.

Attachments

·
Registered
413 Posts
All,

Do you have a check engine light? That white plastic piece on the end of that hose looks just like the one I broke on the top of my gas tank, part of the gas evaporation/vent system. I found my break while chasing a Check Engine code. I was going to have to buy a new $800 dollar tank but managed to slip a piece of stainless steel tubing inside the two pieces and glue it together. They only sell these parts as a tank assembly.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
You also might have a diff leak judging by that first picture. There is diff fluid by the breather tube on the axle and definite oil leaking out of the right side of the diff (unless someone was horrible at filling your axle).

Since the tube has been like that a while, I would just swap your diff oil and put a LubeLocker gasket (or RTV I suppose if you want to be cheap). Swapping oil is cheap insurance :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts