Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for a battery for my '05 TJ Sport and was going to go with the Diehard Platinum P-4 34/78DT as recommended by so many members of this forum. But... I checked the Sears website and they say it's discontinued. I called my local Sears and they confirmed. So, is there an alternative Diehard Platinum dual terminal battery that you guys would recommend? Thanks

·
Registered
362 Posts
wow that is sad I was going to get the same thing. I need a battery with 4 terminals for my winch and lights!! And I'm not getting another $hit optima!!

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
I like Interstate, never had a bad one. Use them in my Harley and RV too. I am not sure about the 4 terminals though.

·
Registered
8,952 Posts
i just called my local Sears and they said it has not been discontinued to their knowledge. had 2 in stock. they did mention Sears went with a different battery manufacturer in some of their lines tho.

I sure how they don't discontinue it...that would be a crying shame.

·
Registered
48 Posts
wow that is sad I was going to get the same thing. I need a battery with 4 terminals for my winch and lights!! And I'm not getting another $hit optima!!
I've had an Optima red top in my Toyota 4x4 for the past 7 years and it's still going strong... Did they change them/lessen the quality recently? I was seriously thinking of going with the Yellow top for my 01 TJ...

·
Registered
8,952 Posts
I've had an Optima red top in my Toyota 4x4 for the past 7 years and it's still going strong... Did they change them/lessen the quality recently? I was seriously thinking of going with the Yellow top for my 01 TJ...
yes, the quality has dropped significantly. most don't last much past a year now. my buddy has two of them in his truck....i think he's on #4 or 5 now...in less than 3 years. he keeps an extra battery just to make sure he can start the truck and get to work, lol.

·
Banned
1,006 Posts
If you want more info about Optima's quality going downhill search this forum, especially Jerry Bransford'd posts.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I'm in the market for a battery for my '05 TJ Sport and was going to go with the Diehard Platinum P-4 34/78DT as recommended by so many members of this forum. But... I checked the Sears website and they say it's discontinued. I called my local Sears and they confirmed. So, is there an alternative Diehard Platinum dual terminal battery that you guys would recommend? Thanks
I work at a sears auto and have not heard of this but can check tomorrow, last I checked we just got 2 more of those in on the last truck. Sears DID switch manufactures on the standard and gold diehards but NOT on the platinums.

Ok just looked I think they are switching to a 75/86 instead which is a little bit smaller and you loose a good 170 CCA.. I also just checked the part number online and its no longer a good number so hate to say it I think the 34/78 are done which might be why we got so many on our truck they are clearing house. I'll try to confirm tomorrow at work. By the way all platinums have gone up to $199.99

·
Registered
22,842 Posts
I just bought one Monday from my local Sears for $199 +tax and with free installation. They had two in stock but nobody said anything about it being discontinued. If so, I'm glad I got it when I did.

·
Registered
69 Posts
so besides spending 270+ on an odyssey what are our choices for a 4 terminal GOOD battery for lights and a winch...that is such a shame the platinum is going going gone.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I work at a sears auto and have not heard of this but can check tomorrow, last I checked we just got 2 more of those in on the last truck. Sears DID switch manufactures on the standard and gold diehards but NOT on the platinums.

Ok just looked I think they are switching to a 75/86 instead which is a little bit smaller and you loose a good 170 CCA.. I also just checked the part number online and its no longer a good number so hate to say it I think the 34/78 are done which might be why we got so many on our truck they are clearing house. I'll try to confirm tomorrow at work. By the way all platinums have gone up to $199.99
Thanks for looking in to this! I called a Sears in a nearby city and they had three 34/78DT's in stock. I made the journey and picked one up for $189. The guy at Sears said once they sell the stock on hand he will not be able to get any more. Bummer...

·
Genius
20,965 Posts
Ya, I got the same thing when I went in. I bought 2 for my Dodge last week and they had 3 on the shelf.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,374 Posts
so besides spending 270+ on an odyssey what are our choices for a 4 terminal GOOD battery for lights and a winch...that is such a shame the platinum is going going gone.
The Diehard Platinum line is not going away, just the 3478-DT. I am bummed about the 3478-DT going away though. When I get done working in the garage I'm going to see if there is a Group 31 version of it available which is a tad bigger and would require a mod or two but would probably be worth the effort.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Ran into the Interstate battery distributer the other day at a local store. He said the Optimas have been pretty consistent over the past few years and he has not seen a higher rate of returns.

I asked about the warranty and he said 3 year replacement. I asked what if the second one goes bad? He said the 2nd one had three years on it also, no problem.

If the Sears was available, then no contest. But I'll give the Optima a try, we'll see. I'm really diggin' that "Made in Mexico" sticker... :9lame: Whatever.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Back in 06 I bought a gel battery at Schucks auto - it wasn't Optima, some other brand. It served me well for the next 4 years, IIRC it was only a 3 year battery. I was hard on it too, I'd run the stereo w/ big arse amp & subs for hours while the engine was off, and it never let me down.

The bad thing is, I didn't document the battery brand or model anywhere.
I checked my maintenance records, and all I typed in was "Gel Battery - Schucks - $151.18".
Curse my laziness!!!
Does anyone know what brand of gel battery Schucks was carrying back then?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts