Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Jeep came with a 2.5" Rancho lift and am assuming that can still use the factory brake lines with no issues. This weekend I am installing JKS quick discos and am wondering if the factory brake lines are long enough or if I need to extend when I do the discos. Sure there is a search topic on this but looking for quick answer. Thanks!

·
Registered
304 Posts
I used my stock brake lines with a 4" lift and discos. They where stretched, but never broke. Probably not safe to run it like tho. I went to braided steel lines as soon as I could.

·
Abe Froman
3,786 Posts
I would disconnect the front and let one side drop until it will not drop anymore. Then ask how comfortable you are with having stock brake lines.

·
Registered
8,951 Posts
Would anyone have a suggested length to go to? If I am going to swap lines out I would like to do it all at the same time. Was hoping someone could give a "you will need about a XX inch long line to be safe" kind of response.
this is really easy to figure out yourself.

drop the axle to full droop. in other words, lift the frame and allow the axle to drop as far as it can go with the sway bar disconnected.

now turn the steering wheel "lock-to-lock"...all the way to one side, and all the way to the other side. when locked to the left and right, make sure to check the brake line length. if the brake line is taut, then you need new lines. how long? take a string or shoelace off your boot, or whatever is handy, and string it along the stock line, and add a few inches to keep the line from becoming taut. measure that length of string and buy new lines that length. done.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's easy enough to check. I wasn't trying to be short on just wanting to know either, we are doing the install at a friends house and will be about 25 min from the closest parts store and was hoping to not burn up an hour running back to town to get parts if I could find out ahead of time and be prepared. Of course I should have been more prepared and thought about this whole line issue earlier!!! Thanks for all the input so far.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts