Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night while unloading things from the back I noticed that I got hit. No idea when or where it happened since it's been garaged for the past week and it wasn't last night since I was in the car the entire time. Of course, there was no note left behind.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

All I need is the bumper, correct? Can just the corner piece of the bumper be replaced or does the entire bumper need to be replaced.

I will be fixing this myself since my deductible is 500 and I won't be getting close to that since I get a discount on parts from chrysler.

How hard is it to replace the bumper? I'm assuming it's pretty simple but I'm wondering if there is anything I should be aware of. I'm pretty capable mechanically, I have replaced the trans in a '97 Grand Cherokee in my garage so I don't think this will be too difficult.

Thanks in advance
Roman

::EDIT:: Sorry for the gigantic picture.

·
Registered
502 Posts
If you want to stay stock. Check Craig's List in your area. Always tons of stock bumpers for sale.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would take you on that offer but I'm all the way in Michigan, thanks though. I'm looking around on craigslist now to see if I can find anything.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
You cannot replace just the corner. Also, the entire piece is only plastic, there is no steel reinforcement underneath like you'll find on the front bumper. There are only 5.. or 8.. bolts/nuts to remove and they are all easily accessible. Like others have said, you'll find cheap or free ones. Post your zip code here I bet someone will offer you theirs.

If you end up crazily needing to buy a new one, they are expensive. Consider an aftermarket option if you are ok with spending that much money.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am located in East Lansing, MI, 48823. Checked with the dealership and a new bumper is 350 minus a 25 percent discount.

::EDIT:: I will also be driving to Madison Wisconsin this weekend so I will be passing through the Chicago area.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Where are you in MI? I'm in Milwaukee & will let you have mine if we can arrange something to avoid shipping or driving too far. If you're in the UP I'll be up there in a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm in mid michigan, the only far drive I have planned in the near future is Madison, Wisconsin. I could probably just drive up 94 to Milwaukee instead taking 90. Only makes a 20 mile difference. This is definitely something I will have to consider. Though I am going with my girlfriend and another friend so I'm not sure they'll want to take a detour.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
If you have a heat gun, pop it off, get it nice and warm and push it back out. You might be surprised... Looks like you might have a white crease mark to the left of the impact, just keep heat on it.

I put a nasty kink in the front valance of my Mustang and popped it out that way.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Put the bumper on a Greyhound bus. I once paid $50 to have an Alfa Romeo bumper shipped from NC to OR in this manner. Greyhound will just throw it in the cargo hold.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm taking Weiss up on his offer since I'll be out in his area. Definitely worth taking the 20 mile detour for the bumper.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts