Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you haven't been in the Fish Lake Valley or explored the Silver Peak mountain range, here are a few pics we took after a 3 day exploration trip...

First off, it was hot so we stayed in an RV park in Dyer. $25 a night for FHU space that included free DVD library use at the general store. There is a deli in the general store and "The Boonies" restaurant across the road has a fair hamburger. Fuel, beer and other alcohol products are also available.

To the west of Dyer are the White Mountains with Nevada's highest peak. The scenery is great, but the wheelin' wasn't at all difficult. Just two track trails really.

To the east is the Silver Peak mountain range. This range was heavily prospected and my Gaia USGS topo maps showed numerous "4x4 route" designated trails. We were by ourselves and it was hot so we didn't go after any of those trails yet, but we will be back in cooler weather. We did take about 90 miles of gravel roads from Dyer over to the town of Silver Peak (a real different town), then south over Oasis Divide (great view to the Sierra range) and back to Dyer.

·
Registered
311 Posts
If you haven't been in the Fish Lake Valley or explored the Silver Peak mountain range, here are a few pics we took after a 3 day exploration trip...

First off, it was hot so we stayed in an RV park in Dyer. $25 a night for FHU space that included free DVD library use at the general store. There is a deli in the general store and "The Boonies" restaurant across the road has a fair hamburger. Fuel, beer and other alcohol products are also available.
Outstanding Brian. That is an area that I never made it to and anyplace high enough for trees is my forte . And yeah, HOT. We did Sand Hollow near Hurricane, UT two weeks ago and we went for the indoors too (versus people camping! in 110-115). Makes me shudder thinking about that "goodness".

Stay safe-as of tomorrow, I will no longer be a local (packers finishing up today and we are bombing down I-15 tomorrow on the way to Seattle via California). :)

Best,
G

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Best of luck G! Hope you and Rachael really love your move. We will miss wheeling with you and the two best mannered kids I've met!

Take care!

Brian & Margie

Outstanding Brian. That is an area that I never made it to and anyplace high enough for trees is my forte . And yeah, HOT. We did Sand Hollow near Hurricane, UT two weeks ago and we went for the indoors too (versus people camping! in 110-115). Makes me shudder thinking about that "goodness".

Stay safe-as of tomorrow, I will no longer be a local (packers finishing up today and we are bombing down I-15 tomorrow on the way to Seattle via California). :)

Best,
G

·
Registered
391 Posts
Nice, Brian. You mentioned wanting to head west into the White Mountains. There is an east-west traverse trail that takes you to Bishop CA, with a stop at the Ancient Bristlecone Pine Forest. It starts just over the state line at Deep Springs. It looks like there are some awesome spur trails to the north of the route as well.

I haven't done it yet but it's on my short list.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice, Brian. You mentioned wanting to head west into the White Mountains. There is an east-west traverse trail that takes you to Bishop CA, with a stop at the Ancient Bristlecone Pine Forest. It starts just over the state line at Deep Springs. It looks like there are some awesome spur trails to the north of the route as well.

I haven't done it yet but it's on my short list.
I've been to the Bristlecone forest and "Methuselah", the oldest known tree, but not the 4x4 route from Laws Railroad Museum (at last near there, I don't have a map in front of me) to the top of the mountain. The museum is pretty cool with a lot to look at! There is a campground on top of the mountain where a lot of folks set up their telescopes. Reports have that trail as being rated easy/moderate. It's a paved road to the top from the south side with a blind 1 lane section in a corner... interesting!

·
Registered
391 Posts
I've been to the Bristlecone forest and "Methuselah", the oldest known tree, but not the 4x4 route from Laws Railroad Museum (at last near there, I don't have a map in front of me) to the top of the mountain. The museum is pretty cool with a lot to look at! There is a campground on top of the mountain where a lot of folks set up their telescopes. Reports have that trail as being rated easy/moderate. It's a paved road to the top from the south side with a blind 1 lane section in a corner... interesting!

We're thinking about doing the east-to-west route -- the "White Mountain Traverse" -- in the fall before the snow. [If not this year, then in 2019.] We'll hit all the bristlecone areas, camping two nights, once at the Grandview campground (the one you mention) and once at a primitive site on the north side. There are some cool trails to explore up there. We really enjoy remote trails. We'll then head down the Silver Canyon trail to Laws. Thanks for the tip about the RR museum in Laws, by the way.

So what you do rank your skill level on the 6 point scale? I prefer Cat 3 trails (because they're fun and challenging but not dangerous) and don't mind Cat 4 stretches here and there as long as the entire trail isn't like that. The White Mountain traverse is mostly Cat 2 with some rocky Cat 3 stretches, but I'm expecting the remote side trails to be just about anything.

·
Registered
424 Posts
There is a route up the Whites from Deep Springs Valley. You go through the site of White Mountain City https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Mountain_City,_California (also Mark Twain visited).

The route seems fairly well used by the Deep Springs College for ranching, but on the route I've posted here it become more challenging before Dead Horse Meadow (rocks, deep ruts in 2016). If you don't go that way then it is still easy to join up with the main road.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts