Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went in looking at Winches. The counter guy immediately suggested Warn's most expensive winch. Then he told me that it won't fit on my 10th Anniversary Bumper (which is designed to fit a winch by the way) and went on to suggest Warn's most expensive bumper. He wasn't even very willing to discuss other options with me, and then he disappeared.
The store in Oakland doesn't have much in the way of displays to be seen.
Oh, he did give me one of their catalogs. But their web site has a ton more selection. But nobody to answer questions.

So I'm looking for a winch. In order to use my 10th Anniversary bumper, I will need a winch plate, and a fairlead hawse (I'm looking to go synthetic). Since I'm also looking to eventually flat tow, and I can't do that with the existing bumper, I guess I'm looking for a bumper too. Why put money into a bumper that will not suit all my purposes? And why do it twice? Here's the rub. The Warn bumper the salesman suggested, is not rated for flat towing (according to the Warn web site).
Since I'm going that route, I want to replace the rear bumper as well. One with a swing out tire carrier so I can add a rack and Jerry cans. The Warn tire carrier attaches to your tailgate. Again, the guy at 4WP was no help in this category either.

The Warn Elite front bumper. As you can see on the Warn page, it's not rated for flat towing.
https://www.warn.com/truck/mounting-...ont_bumper.jsp
Decisions, decisions.

·
Sponsoring Vendor
4,474 Posts
Have you looked at the Rock Hard 4x4 line? We are a dealer for them and can help out. They have bumpers that are setup for flat towing. They also have some rear bumper/carrier combos that allow you to carry accessories on them.

As for the winch, what are your needs? How often do you see your self needing it? I am guessing the JK is a 4dr, right? I would suggest a 10K winch at that point. Also, dont sell your self short on the budget. Make sure we have room in their for winch accessories. Sucks to have a nice winch but no way to hook it up for your needs.

Let us know if we can help. Feel free to PM, email, or call us at anytime!

-Jason

·
Registered
884 Posts
X2 for RockHard 4X4 bumpers.

The front bumpers are indeed set up for easy winch mounting and for flat towing.

The rear bumper with swing-away tire carrier is solid and doesn't rattle. Mine is set up for carrying jerry cans and one can add a rear cargo rack over the spare. In my opinion the latch mechanism is the best in the business.

RockHard 4X4's customer service is excellent regardless of whether you purchase directly from them or from one of their dealers.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I was looking at LOD. I like the lines of their bumpers better. Spoke to them on the phone and they can weld on the tabs needed to flat tow before they ship out the bumper to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Bella's Jeeper
1,299 Posts
x3 for Rock Hard 4x4. I have the full width front bumper with lowered winch mount, their rear bumper without a tire carrier and a MORryde tailgate reinforcement/tire carrier setup.

Attachments

·
Registered
80 Posts
Quadratec has a good reputation on this forum for decent prices, and good service. I ordered my winch and mounting plates with the help of Rick through this forum. He was responsive 7 days a week, got my parts quickly, and a forum discount helps too.

G

·
They will fit. I have sold over 500 Warns with winch mounts for that bumper since 2014. 90% being Zeons. This does not count just the winch mounts for people who already had the winch. Centered, Off-Center, they all fit. PowerPlant can even go, just take a little more trimming on your end. Been selling parts for 10A, HRs, and now Recons for years. It really is a lot simpler than most people (or sales guys) make it seem. Also, Maximus-3 has tow loops that go around the frame rails for a tow bar. You can keep your bumper, Blue Ox also has part numbers for the 10A bumpers.

·
Supporting Vendor
767 Posts
Have you looked at the Rock Hard 4x4 line? We are a dealer for them and can help out. They have bumpers that are setup for flat towing. They also have some rear bumper/carrier combos that allow you to carry accessories on them.

As for the winch, what are your needs? How often do you see your self needing it? I am guessing the JK is a 4dr, right? I would suggest a 10K winch at that point. Also, dont sell your self short on the budget. Make sure we have room in their for winch accessories. Sucks to have a nice winch but no way to hook it up for your needs.

Let us know if we can help. Feel free to PM, email, or call us at anytime!

-Jason
X2 for RockHard 4X4 bumpers.

The front bumpers are indeed set up for easy winch mounting and for flat towing.

The rear bumper with swing-away tire carrier is solid and doesn't rattle. Mine is set up for carrying jerry cans and one can add a rear cargo rack over the spare. In my opinion the latch mechanism is the best in the business.

RockHard 4X4's customer service is excellent regardless of whether you purchase directly from them or from one of their dealers.
x3 for Rock Hard 4x4. I have the full width front bumper with lowered winch mount, their rear bumper without a tire carrier and a MORryde tailgate reinforcement/tire carrier setup.
Thanks fellas!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I must admit, that 4WP has redeemed themselves, at least in my eye.
I bought a bumper that I thought I wanted. It came in, and I picked it up and brought it home.
When I opened the box, there was a small discrepancy that my eye was drawn to right away. After vacillating back and forth, I decided to return the bumper. 4WP gave me absolutely no grief about it at all. They gave me a full refund, and asked what I wanted to do.
I told them I was probably going to just stick with my 10th Anniversary Bumper, and get the Winch Plate for it. He gave me his card, and told me that if there's anything I need, to feel free to call him directly.

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
I bought 5 BFG KO2's on the sale and one had to be returned. Bought a replacement and returned the bad one as instructed. They recieved it Friday. We'll see how long it takes to get the credit card credit. So far they have been good on this.

Reactions: Killjoy

·
Registered
73 Posts
x4 on the Rockhard4x4 Bumper. I have the Patriot Series Full Width Front Bumper w/ Lowered Winch Mount and love it.

As for 4WheelParts, I have been dealing with them for over a decade with two different Jeeps and I have no problem recommending them to friends/family. Over that time frame there have been a few mishaps but they have always done their best to take care of me, and I have continued to do business with them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts