Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I"m helping a buddy diagnose a starting issue. In the interim I asked him to get a new cap/rotor because the old ones were so worn down I think that's the starting and running issue. The new cap he purchsed fit, but the rotor was different. All the rotors that show should fit in this Jeep only have the solid shaft that is notched on the inside to slide over the top of the distributor shaft. The one that came out of the Jeep has a pig tail on the end of it that slides into a disk on top of the rotor. Anyone very familiar with these engines shed some onsite to what year motor this might have comes out of so we can order the right part?

The owner mentioned to me that is was on it's second engine and he has no history of where the engine came from. It appears to be the 2.5. How would I determine what engine is in it? I can post a pic of the entire bay later tomorrow if that would help.

The Jeep is a 1994 YJ 4 cyl 2.5L.

My issues is the distributor he has in the car does not match what rockauto or motoralldata shows should be in the jeep. It's also wierd because the spark wire closest to the accessories rest so close to the ac compressor that it has rubbed a section off the top of the plug wire.

According to rockauto this is what shoul dbe in his Jeep.

Here's what is currently in the Jeep right now.

Here are a few pictures showing how the one plug wire rides on the AC complressor line. I don't see them designing it this way and wonder if someone jerry-rigged something.

·
Premium Member
10,093 Posts
No one has answered because no one has seen one of those I imagine. A reman is not that expensive and may help position the plug wire away from the AC line. Best I got.

·
Premium Member
546 Posts
I wonder if the prior owner used an engine and distributor out of a Chrysler vehicle? Maybe their distributors are a little different. I don't remember my distributor looking like yours at all.

If I was you, I would follow "jokerchief's" advice. Just get a replacement and put it in right.

Take care,

·
Registered
551 Posts
That would appear to be a distributor out off a pre '91 4.0L (pre-HO cherokee). I'm not sure how it ran at all with that in there.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Try a rotor of a 93 2.5 that is what my 94 takes. Like you I got cap & rotor for a 94 took it back to Auto Zone looked up for a 93 and it worked.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That would appear to be a distributor out off a pre '91 4.0L (pre-HO cherokee). I'm not sure how it ran at all with that in there.
Interesting. I looked up the distributor on rockauto.com for a 91 cherokee and sure enough that was exactly what it looks like he has. I guess the guy that put the motor in use a motor from an earlier cherokee. Thanks for the help, now he know what parts to order for the future. :dance:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts