Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a write up i came across on my local offroad forum. hope you enjoy.

note: ALL credit goes to brandon (H8PVMNT) and anyone who helped him. i did not do this, im simply sharing it.

DIY beadlocks

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
Are they legal in NM. Some states outlaw them.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i believe they are. ive been wheelin' and have seen many rigs with em on..rigs that are street legal.

·
Registered
817 Posts
why wouldn't they?

·
Registered
29 Posts
DIY Beadlocker Wheel Mod.

A couple of points.
1st. A couple of states have passed (are trying to pass) DOT laws against multi-piece wheels. This is to address the unsafe situation of a poorly assembled 'Split Rim' used on large trucks. (BTW I have seen the rings fly off wheels when not installed properly, VERY scary, dangerous situation). Beadlocker wheels are two piece wheels. There are 'Bead Locker' wheels which meet DOT specs., but I understand at this time none are 'DOT approved', due to the fact the tire is held on place with a second bolt on ring. :facepalm: I tried to find a listing of states that outlaw, or are trying to outlaw Beadlock wheels, but I could not find anything on the Internet as to the legality of these wheels.

2nd. I looked very closely at the pictures of this 'DIY Bead Locker Wheel' and it does not seem to me to 'lock' anything. Unless I'm missing something, this looks like a wonderful bolt on 'bead guard', but not a 'Bead Locker' wheel. If I totally missed something please tell me what I missed. I just don't see any bead locking. :hide:

I found an illustration of 'The Bead Locker Concept' (left) and did a little redraw on the right to show how the 'DIY Bead Locker Wheel' Mod. is different. Once again if I am off base on this please let me know. :doh:

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
The main concern with the beadlocks is not normally that it's two pieces. It's that in order to assemble the bead locks you have to weld to the rim and that invalidates the DOT approval of the rim. You can do this and some states don't mind but a lot do. So if you decide to roll around on beadlocks you run the risk of some cop actually knowing something in life and recognizing your weld on beadlocks at the scene of an accident and calling it your fault for non-DOT approved equipment.

And Rinkers: You're off on your pic. Those locks are assembled by putting the first bead on the rim normally but then leaving the second bead on the outside of the welded area and clamp it to the rim using the beadlock rings and a butt load of bolts. There is normally an anti-coning ring inserted as well to help with the bead clamping. Your second pic is incorrect.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i honestly dont know a lot about beadlocks as i dont run any myself. i just thought id share it for a writeup if anyone wants to try it. love the input/opinions/facts though!

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Some friends made some beadlocks that lock the tire on both sides.

Pics.

Modifikationen am Offroader » Beadlock´s von Mopic
Looks cool! (but I can't read it!). The hutchinson wheels are a double lock via a 2 piece wheel and a thing in the center that compressed both beads. Stazworks also makes custom double bead lock wheels with the same principle. IMO double bead wheels are FAR superior to single lock. Hutchinson makes wheels for military vehicles (the hummer had double bead locks with the same type of system). They also make wheels for offroad fire trucks and other bad ass vehicles. The double lock will allow you to drive (slow) with a gash in your sidewall, while a single lock would unseat the inner bead and stop you in your tracks.

·
Registered
29 Posts
And Rinkers: You're off on your pic. Those locks are assembled by putting the first bead on the rim normally but then leaving the second bead on the outside of the welded area and clamp it to the rim using the beadlock rings and a butt load of bolts. There is normally an anti-coning ring inserted as well to help with the bead clamping. Your second pic is incorrect.
I know what a beadlock wheel is. And I know the second illustration is not a beadlock wheel. That was the whole reason for the post. The second Illustration is what I believe is the DIY beadlock shown in the link on my post. I am questioning why go to all this trouble when it does not serve the purpose of a beadlock wheel? If you look closely at the procedure and illustrations on the DIY link, the second illustration on my post shows the result of all that work. And it is not a beadlock wheel. Just wheel with a ring bolted on to it.

Here is the link again.

Check it out and see what you think is being done to the wheels. Not to take anything away from the folks that did all the work. The wheels look great! I just don't understand the reason behind doing all this work for ornamental purposes. It looks to me like a lot of added weight with no more purpose than the look.

·
Registered
12,000 Posts
What I think you're failing to see is that the tire bead is broken from its normal position, moved to the OUTSIDE of the welded on ring, and another concave ring is then bolted to the welded on ring. I have the same setup, though currently i'm mounted normally, ie the bead is seated in the wheel where it would normally be stock.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
darkproximity said:
What I think you're failing to see is that the tire bead is broken from its normal position, moved to the OUTSIDE of the welded on ring, and another concave ring is then bolted to the welded on ring. I have the same setup, though currently i'm mounted normally, ie the bead is seated in the wheel where it would normally be stock.
X2. The bead of the tire now sits on the OUTSIDE of the rim against the new welded on ring and pinched in place with the outer bolted on ring. That is why they used silicone in the pic... Sealing it up

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
X3 the tire no long sits in the old outside bead of the DIY beadlock. your only using the inner bead. the outer bead of the tire sits on the welded rig of the bead lock then is clamped to the wheel with the outer ring. I'm doing a set shortly and will have about $450 total invested into the project for wheels rings and hardware. vs 300+ for one new beadlock wheel form raceline AVE or trail ready.

this is how they are mounted to the wheel hope it helps
How-To install Beadlock wheels - YouTube

1 - 20 of 23 Posts