Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone made a wire harness for their hardtop?? Instead of paying 150 for the kit? I have a 1999 sport and an early hardtop so no conversion is necessary. I do not have the wire plugin on the jeep side so I am wondering if I can simply make one somehow? The wiper fluid reservoir is a harder I'd imagine, but I don't need that necessarily right now. Just want to get power to the hardtop first. Let me know please, hoping I don't have to drop 150 bucks on a new set. Thank you!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've been thinking about this for my 2002. I haven't been able to find the kit for an 01-02. It has been discontinued. I'm not even sure what the difference is between the 97-00 and 01-02. I think 03-06 has a different connector. I found a thread on another forum about this. Search "Hardtop Homemade Wiring Harness." It has info about switches and connectors from a XJ that will work. If I can find the switches and connectors I may try it.

·
Registered
15,661 Posts
It is kind of complicated

The timer used to cycle off the defroster is built into the instrument cluster

The spot for the defroster relay is in the PDC under the hood

The wiper gets a whenever key is on power to park the blade

Then it also gets a switched run power

The washer pump power actually runs back to the hardtop connector on one wire then back to pump under the hood on another wire so that if hardtop harness is unplugged at hardtop (think hardtop removed) the pump will not get power and pump washer fluid into the rear corner of your tub

The switches that control wiper washer and defroster also get variable illumination power

Could it be done with switches from an XJ (which are the same) and a fair bit or wiring and splicing yes

Is it worth it maybe

Remember that both ground and power for defroster are larger gage to carry more current

No harder newer vs older hardtop as you just make your harness with appropriate plug (early from near firewall of neon and newer style from under power seat of a Durango )

1 - 3 of 3 Posts