Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have this idea, which is probably a crazy one as usual. Anyway, I'm planning on saving a few bucks and making my own DIY cargo net. The twist is I'd like it to be semi-secure by making it out of tubular webbing like this:

...and running a plastic coated aircraft cable through the middle of the webbing. The cables are pretty hard to cut without a special set of cutters that most thieves wouldn't have. I would anchor the cables to the body and it would fully enclose the area rear of the front seats, sort of like a full Raingler setup.

Here's what I'm working with so far, which is a neat Rola cargo basket I cut down to fit and mounted similar to a few other DIY'ers around here have done. Might end up making a slide out storage box underneath too, but the plan is to be able to remove all that, replace the rear seat and still have some security.

So, has anyone attempted something like this before? Did a little searching but didn't find much. Doesn't seem all too complicated, but I guess we'll see soon!

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
I guess I get the basic idea and know the "nets" available. I have seen on Jeepform where people have stiched their own nets. The general question I have, the webs have to cross each other in multiple places and terminate at the ends. How are you going to join the cables where they cross and at the ends? The individual webs will have to be sewen together with the cables inside the webs. The sewn together webs could be cut.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's a good question. I plan on dealing with that by making small slits where the cables can exit the webbing and jump around the stitches where the webbing meets. Really, the whole thing could be done without the webbing, but I think it would look much better with, like a regular cargo net. The cables need to be crimped together where they cross in order maintain it's integrity. I'm hoping I can find fittings that make an "X" shape to make this work well.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You could use speedy rivets to join the webbing and the cables could go around the rivet inside the webbing

Speedy Rivets
Great idea! I like the idea of rivets. A little more manly to be able to say I riveted it myself, rather that sewed it! Might be on the lookout for something rust resistant, like something stainless steel and painted black, coated etc.

·
Registered
50 Posts
You could use speedy rivets to join the webbing and the cables could go around the rivet inside the webbing

Speedy Rivets
Yep. This is a great idea. I've been trying to make my own one for weeks now on My wife's cheap sewing machine. I've got so frustrated with thread tension, needles etc. I'm reading to throw the machine out the window!

Rivets and a hammer definitely sounds better.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Great idea! I like the idea of rivets. A little more manly to be able to say I riveted it myself, rather that sewed it! Might be on the lookout for something rust resistant, like something stainless steel and painted black, coated etc.
The speedy rivets are nickel-plated brass so they won't rust. I've found other brands in stainless and black. I'm probably going to be making my own soon, not sure if I'll go with silver of black. I saw a Jeep with a riveted net once and liked the idea. I could not find any photos, but here's once of an inside cargo net:

TrailTuffNets

I photo shopped what I think it would look like on an LJ:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just finished the cargo net today. Pretty happy with how things turned out, with the exception that the "black" double cap rivets I ordered were not really black, but more silver. I just might get a black paint marker and go over them. Getting the rivets perfectly inline with each other proved to be a little tricky, but it might just be the fact that I used between 400-500 of them!

Total cost is right at $100 so far. Haven't added the aircraft cable yet...but that might not happen. I will put in grommets and run the cables through them if I do. All but the chain links that connect the velcro straps to the webbing on the sides were purchased from Amazon. The chain links came from Lowes, but small D-rings would work too. Here's a list of what I used in case anyone's interested.

50 yards 1 1/2" webbing
500 double cap rivets
30 1 1/2" plastic buckles
40 velcro tie wraps
Black light fixture chain
Rivet hole punch
Vice Grips for setting rivets
Scissors for cutting and a lighter to singe the ends.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Go for it! It was really quite easy, especially with using the velcro tie wraps and plastic buckles. I assembled the entire thing in place on the TJ, with probably 4 to 6 hours total time involved. I just started with the horizontal sections and then wove in the vertical sections. The vice grips idea just kind of came to me with the double cap rivets. I used a big pair, and they were plenty strong enough to clamp the rivets together without mangling them. It's nice to think I saved at least a few hundred dollars, and the TJ is quickly becoming "built, not bought." Oh, and thanks for the compliments!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Seems fine so far. Almost every strap is connected to the roll cage at both ends, so it is very secure. I was able to get it pretty tight too, so no flapping around to speak of. Time will tell how it wears though I suppose.

·
Registered
430 Posts
i am NOT asking this sarcastically or "hating" but i am curious the benefit of this vs buying a net already made for this? Seems like you didn't save much money and shelled out 6 hours of your time. Again, not hating, just curious because i plan on buying some side nets for my tj

·
Jeep Flip-Ur-Top Commercial Member
873 Posts
i am NOT asking this sarcastically or "hating" but i am curious the benefit of this vs buying a net already made for this? Seems like you didn't save much money and shelled out 6 hours of your time. Again, not hating, just curious because i plan on buying some side nets for my tj
From what I've seen only the Smittybuilt CRES system is less than $100, and that is not made from strapping....just openings cut into soft top material. My buddy has one and some of the openings in the material has broken in a few places. You also can't use it with the soft top on like the OP's system.

Nets like the one the OP has made can be left on with a soft or hard top, and cost between $200-$300 to cover the sides, back and top....so I'm going to get myself motivated and do this....Great job!!!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Looks awesome! Love this kind of DIY project!

·
Jeep Flip-Ur-Top Commercial Member
873 Posts
I know this is an older thread, but where did you get the strap material?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts