Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
We have a 1994 Jeep Wrangler and I'm finding that all the consoles available online are too tight between the front seats. We have really upgraded the interior with new seats and carpeting. Love to have a console that fits. Has anyone else had this problem? Have any of you made your own? I'd be interested in hearing about that. Thanks!!!!

Marty

·
Super Moderator
10,647 Posts
From what I understand, early YJs have seat frames (the bracket that supports the seat and bolts to the floor) that have each seat sitting closer to it's respective door.
If another poster can confirm this and what years are involved, you might look around for early YJ seat frames.
As a side note, I think all 1987 YJs had both front seats fold forward (at least both of the seat frames in my "87 fold forward for rear seat access).

I have an 8" wide Smittybilt console with inexpensive Bestop II seats and everything clears like it was stock.
My wife made the armrest cover to match the homemade lower inserts of my half doors (sorry, no pics).

If you wish, I can move this to the YJ general discussion forum for you.

Good Luck, L. M.

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have made many center consoles since upholstery work is what I do. My 94 wrangler has one in it that came with it, it’s not tight but it’s not good either. When I build an console for my work I use a pvc board you can get it at homedepot, menards but I use 1/2” it’s easy to use, waterproof, and with a little heat can be shaped. Of course you can also build it out of steel and then bed line it as well.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
DIY Console reposted

DIY Console
We have a 1994 Jeep Wrangler and I'm finding that all the consoles available online are too tight between the front seats. We have really upgraded the interior with new seats and carpeting. Love to have a console that fits. Has anyone else had this problem? Have any of you made your own? I'd be interested in hearing about that. Thanks!!!!

Marty

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I made one from a 25 mm ammo can, it's only 5.5" wide. Tuffy makes one that's 5.5" wide, I believe they market it for the Suzuki Samarai.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Reactions: Incommando

·
Super Moderator
10,647 Posts
Welcome to the Forum Aallison28,

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
261 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
From what I understand, early YJs have seat frames (the bracket that supports the seat and bolts to the floor) that have each seat sitting closer to it's respective door.

I was wondering why the Chrysler console I stuck in my 87 had so much room to spare between it and the seats compared to other YJ's that came with it factory.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have the Tuffy 8" (wanted the radio storage). I have a 1992 YJ, I did have to source out the foward folding base (that LM mentioned). I also have the MasterCraft Reclining suspension seats. Everything fits, the seat bolesters touch the console but are not pinched. Everything fits but but there isn't any spare room between the doors. It was a win win for me because I wanted the forward folding mechanism for the driver side anyway.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I have the Tuffy 8" (wanted the radio storage). I have a 1992 YJ, I did have to source out the foward folding base (that LM mentioned). I also have the MasterCraft Reclining suspension seats. Everything fits, the seat bolesters touch the console but are not pinched. Everything fits but but there isn't any spare room between the doors. It was a win win for me because I wanted the forward folding mechanism for the driver side anyway.
Not sure if you realized but you can get those tracks to slide all the way back so that the seat touches the roll bar.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Double ditto on the Tuffy mentioned above. I tried two other 8” wide consoles that were supposed to fit the ‘95 but only the 6.5” version worked.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Great info all!!!

Pulled my OEM console out as the PO trashed it. Looking at building a lid and trying to install it back securely. Not sure if I would be better off trying to source something from a junkyard, maybe affix it to the OEM plastic mounting plate. Or I could maybe build some brackets off the trans tunnel.... I just cannot spend $200+ on the tuffy and nothing else out there appears to come in at 6.5" or under.

Would be nice to have a little arm rest vs the factory console as well.

Anyone else come up with a good fitting console solution?

·
Registered
288 Posts

Marty
Expensive but very nice.

https://genright.com/products/aluminum-center-console-for-jeep-tj-or-lj.html

https://genright.com/products/narrow-aluminum-center-console-for-jeep-tj-or-lj.html

·
Registered
800 Posts
Great info all!!!

Pulled my OEM console out as the PO trashed it. Looking at building a lid and trying to install it back securely. Not sure if I would be better off trying to source something from a junkyard, maybe affix it to the OEM plastic mounting plate. Or I could maybe build some brackets off the trans tunnel.... I just cannot spend $200+ on the tuffy and nothing else out there appears to come in at 6.5" or under.

Would be nice to have a little arm rest vs the factory console as well.

Anyone else come up with a good fitting console solution?
Just go with the 8” Smittybilt. It’s a knock off of the Tuffy and at $110 you can’t go wrong. I have one and it’s a little tight between the seats but that helps hold it snug as well. Here’s an older picture.

Attachments

·
Registered
82 Posts
Just go with the 8” Smittybilt. It’s a knock off of the Tuffy and at $110 you can’t go wrong. I have one and it’s a little tight between the seats but that helps hold it snug as well. Here’s an older picture.
Thank you! I will look at that one again.

·
Registered
82 Posts
All the Smittybilt consoles I found show 9" in width dimension. I will have to measure how much room I have between my seats. May end up trying to find some steel stock and just build one....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts