Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to carry extra fuel but did not want to spend the $ or put on the extra weight of a huge bumper/carrier. So I welded this up out of 2x2 steel tubing & slid it into my receiver hitch.

Works great. (No, you can't open your end gate W/O removal.)
Sorry it's so dirty, just pulled it off jeep to take these for ya.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
MAn that is BOSS! I already wanted to buy a welder but damn youve inspired me!! ... Who cares if you cant open the tailgate just reach over the window rail !! [email protected]

BTW... what type of welder did you use_ I am wanting to get a 220v but dont have a socket for it in my garage.. Im just hoping that a cheaper 110v will weld that thick

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
MAn that is BOSS! I already wanted to buy a welder but damn youve inspired me!! ... Who cares if you cant open the tailgate just reach over the window rail !! [email protected]

BTW... what type of welder did you use_ I am wanting to get a 220v but dont have a socket for it in my garage.. Im just hoping that a cheaper 110v will weld that thick
Thanks Brotha, I have a 220 volt Miller Matic 175 Mig. I run .30 wire with gas.
I'd deff go with the 220. It prolly wouldn't cost you that much to have an electrician wire you up an outlet. Most panels are near the garage anyhow.

Also the part that slides into the receiver hitch is 1/4", but the rest of the tubing is only 1/8th. It's very strong & not too heavy.

BTW nice jeep and nice view from the house
Thank you. Just went walking the dog & a 3 point buck stared us down. lol
Earlier today we had about 500 Canada Geese oout there munching on the winter wheat.

Thats awesome! Much better than spending $100+ for jerry can holders.
I agree!!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Way to be creative 07Xman! Bob, you could always run an extension cord from your drier receptacle to the garage to power a 220v welder (assuming your laundry room is next to the garage like mine is).

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Way to be creative 07Xman! Bob, you could always run an extension cord from your drier receptacle to the garage to power a 220v welder (assuming your laundry room is next to the garage like mine is).
Thanks, it's realy more about being the cheap barstard that I am.lol

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
I have no gas 110... you CAN weld that thick with it (folks are going to disagree with that statement, but I got a light guard on my front bumper that will lift the whole DJ off the ground that was welded on 110 with no gas...), but you need a ridiculous amount of patience (it's horribly slow on thick stock), a fair amount of skill, and a grinder to angle all the joints prior to welding and to get rid of the initial pile of slag you end up with having to get enough heat built up in the stock.

It's doable, but spending the extra for a 220 and an outlet (I live in Military housing... can't get an outlet, so no 220 for me til I retire) will save you enough headaches to warrant the expense ;)

07X... I'm not a huge fan of having a hitch and even more so having anything in it, but that is friggin awesome :)

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have no gas 110... you CAN weld that thick with it (folks are going to disagree with that statement, but I got a light guard on my front bumper that will lift the whole DJ off the ground that was welded on 110 with no gas...), but you need a ridiculous amount of patience (it's horribly slow on thick stock), a fair amount of skill, and a grinder to angle all the joints prior to welding and to get rid of the initial pile of slag you end up with having to get enough heat built up in the stock.

It's doable, but spending the extra for a 220 and an outlet (I live in Military housing... can't get an outlet, so no 220 for me til I retire) will save you enough headaches to warrant the expense ;)

07X... I'm not a huge fan of having a hitch and even more so having anything in it, but that is friggin awesome :)
Thanks, I'm sure you could weld it with 110. All the tubing is 1/8" thick except for the part that slides into the receiver. It is quarter inch for a reason. I was afraid that some day I may slide the rear off a rock & hit my spare tire. So I made a slider out of this carrier. I'll have to post a better pic I guess. Anywho, I took an additional piece of 1/4" plate & welded it on the underside of this thing. Also, the huge clevis is folded rearward & up & bungeed while extreme wheeling, it also keeps the tire from hitting anything.

Beautiful. Just awesome. Might even steal your idea ( if you don't mind) ;)
Thanks, knock yourself out. I'll try to get one more sideview pic if it will help.
This is with it slid all the way out of course. Also take note of the gussets, there are four of them & they are crucial for strength.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
I was afraid that some day I may slide the rear off a rock & hit my spare tire. So I made a slider out of this carrier. I'll have to post a better pic I guess. Anywho, I took an additional piece of 1/4" plate & welded it on the underside of this thing. Also, the huge clevis is folded rearward & up & bungeed while extreme wheeling, it also keeps the tire from hitting anything.
:eek: didn't think of it in those terms... I worry more about rolling backwards and snagging something with the hitch reciever... I don't normally go backing downhill if I can help it, but sometimes it just happens anyway, and snagging anything in that situation can get ugly.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
:eek: didn't think of it in those terms... I worry more about rolling backwards and snagging something with the hitch reciever... I don't normally go backing downhill if I can help it, but sometimes it just happens anyway, and snagging anything in that situation can get ugly.
Yes, I hear you loud & clear. Seems like whenever you gain something, (extra fuel) you give something up, more weight, higer center of gravity, less visibility, bigger fire should you roll & rupture those babies, Reduced angle of departure with this design, etc....

I will say this, when I go rock crawling or extreme off roading, lol I will not be packing these cans. They are for extended treks into the vast open country. Exploritory trips, two track. I'm not going to take unessisary chances that far from civilization.

If I'm out in timbuktoo & come across a 4 ft drop off, i'm turnin the fetch around. 20 minutes from Moab and 10 other rigs to help you out is a different story.

The ease of installation and removal of this carrier is what makes it so great. If you don't need it for the day or trip, you simply pull a pin & leave it.

Have a good one!! Thanks for your comments

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Hey, I went to U.S. Welding today & looked at the new welders. Miller has come out with a new one that can plug into 110 or 220 without you even having to flip a switch. You'll have to get online & check it out. Comes with two interchangable plugs & an automatic sensor that changes it from 110 to 220. Way cool. It's also like a 200 amp machine, would kick my welders butt.

Just thought you may be interested!!! Oh, & the rep said he thought the Millers were just a bit better than the Lincolns. Both are fine machines though.
L8R Bruce

1 - 20 of 35 Posts