Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I looked through the threads on this forum. Basically I've cut my foam, covered it in fabric, and first tried using 3M super 77 to adhere the panels to the hardtop.
Now here's how I prepped them:

Took the foil/ film layer off the foam and sanded the inside of hardtop and cleaned it with paint thinner for better adhesion.

Problem is the 3M super 77 didn't even start to hold the foam panels up, they all fell within 24 hours.

Did a little research on the Internet and found that some recommend the industrial Velcro so I ordered 15 feet of it from amazon. Seems legit it has some good adhesive and holds even as the Velcro tears away.

Got all done with the front panels and they're holding up but starting to sag in places where I don't have the Velcro. Not quite sure what's going on but it's almost like the heat warped the foam out of being straight.

Has anyone else done this project? Had any success with a type of adhesive or mounting method?

My understanding is even some of the hot heads and pre bought style dont have adequate adhesive to keep them up.....

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
Did you clean the tops with acetone?

·
Registered
77 Posts
I just did my JKU with 1/2" foil backed foam from Home Depot. I took the foil off in a little spot above the area where the XM antenna is so it would not interfere with its reception. After taking it off I noticed the foam got very floppy in that small area. I would guess this is some of your problem. As you found out, Super 77 will not hold the panels up. I would suggest the industrial Velcro or 3m high temp vhb double sided tape if you don't want to use the Velcro. It isn't cheap(about $30 a roll) but it is the only way to insure you won't have to mess with it in the future. I used about a roll and a half on the 4 panels I made. One strip on every "ridge" on the top.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
I tried the industrial velcro a couple years ago....it didn't last long although it was promising. The hotter the summer progressed, the more frequent the failures of the backing coming loose from the panels. Yes, the strips stick to each other like Klingon dingle berries, but even the extra strong adhesive backing failed too often.

Finally I abandoned my fascination with the stuff and went with this:

sprayed on the ridged part of panels. It lasted nicely about 18 months, and just this last week I had to treat my panels again.

I used the closed-cell foam sleeping pads about 3/4" thick, and color more-or-less matched to my Forest Green body color.

Cheers;

·
Registered
332 Posts
This is an old thread but I'm planning to insulate my hard top. We use the 3M 77 and 90 at work. For it to work best you have to spray both sides (roof and foam) and let them get tacky before putting them together. Biggest problem is that you have to get it straight from the start because there's no second chance - it sticks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts