Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all so I'm going to build a new rear bumper for the old girl and have been watching a lot of video's. I have been looking for frame tie ins but I'm not paying 80 bucks US so I'm going to make my own. Question does anyone bolt right thought the frame? I'm thinking of putting a sleeve through the frame for the two bolts and just tacking the sleeve to the frame. Thinking is it would be stronger. Or is it just added work for nothing?

I'm only running 33's so not big but could be bigger in the future. I'm building a swing away tire carrier for the new bumper so I want it strong. Thanks

·
Registered
816 Posts
My initial design did not include a tire carrier. I mounted to the frame with some "L" brackets with the nuts inside of the frame. Access was done by cutting out the end of the frame, plasma cutter. This worked fine until I decided to put a tire carrier on it, then I got too much movement. I then welded a piece of flat steel to the bottom of the bumper to the bolts that come up through the bottom of the frame. Absolutely no movement now.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Blondie70
1 - 3 of 3 Posts