Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve always liked the look of YJ without a tire or carrier off the back bumper. However running without a spare tire offroad is not an option. So I came up with a simple way to mount the spare inside the tub.

Started with an OEM TJ tire carrier that mounts to the tailgate and empty tub and a 33x13.5 Pitbull Rocker. Remove the 3rd brake light as you won’t need it inside the tub

I used the stock seat mounting bolt to center the carrier in the tub.

Once it was centered side to side I drilled 2 half inch holes in the front. Always double check before drilling that there are no lines. I bolted it down with some 7/16ths nuts and bolts

Once everything was tight I threw the spare inside and bolted it down to the mounting plate.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Great idea! I was just out in the garage and was wondering how I was going to secure mine in the tub. Do you have a pic of the rear without the tire on it?:thumb:

·
Registered
580 Posts
Brilliant work. I just re-installed the spare carrier (a new rough country) on my back end because the last one shredded up and put a small tear on top of swing door.

Why did I do the same thing twice if I 4WD so much? Don't ask.

I've brainstormed other places for the spare. My wife-to-be loves the front and our dog loves the back and likes to go with us. I'm trying to dream up an upright situation for the spare in the jeep bed...great pics...you planted the seed for my next DIY masterpiece!

·
Registered
38 Posts
I’ve always liked the look of YJ without a tire or carrier off the back bumper. However running without a spare tire offroad is not an option. So I came up with a simple way to mount the spare inside the tub.

Started with an OEM TJ tire carrier that mounts to the tailgate and empty tub and a 33x13.5 Pitbull Rocker. Remove the 3rd brake light as you won’t need it inside the tub

I used the stock seat mounting bolt to center the carrier in the tub.

Once it was centered side to side I drilled 2 half inch holes in the front. Always double check before drilling that there are no lines. I bolted it down with some 7/16ths nuts and bolts

Once everything was tight I threw the spare inside and bolted it down to the mounting plate.

where do you put the beer cooler?

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
no photo of the rear with out the tire on it yet still need to figure out what I'm doing with the old warn carrier

you could easily make up a mount to carry the tire upright but I would not use the stock mount as a base for that

as for carrying a spare I wheel a little on the hard side in a small rig and really dont want to be stuck if I waste a tire. I am going to beadlocks shortly but I will still keep a spare with me.

and the beer comment that stays at camp, beer and wheeling do not mix

1 - 6 of 6 Posts